New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with F/L sizing - damaged brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm reloading .270 for the BARII semi. I used to use just F/L dies until I started using Norma brass which would jam even after F/L resizing.

So I bought a Small Base Die set. RCBS.

Here's the problem I'm getting now. I srew the die in til it just touches the shell holder, then another 1/8 turn. Lube up the shell, pull the handle... etc etc.

The shell is getting damaged just below the shoulder. Like a little dent about 5mm long (Will try and get a pic) Happens nearly every pull.

The press is a little Lee one. Might be too small to use this die, I was thinking it may flex just a couple of thou or so.

Either way, its stuffing my brass. If I dont use the SB die, then the cases will jam every time and I mean you have to hit the dam bolt lever with a lump of wood to get the bolt to open!

Any help?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you know what an oil dent looks like? ie too much case lube.

Clean out the die.? See if the case fits the chamber with the die (say) only just touching the shell holder?
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put the ram to its topmost position, then screw the die down until it just touches the shell holder and go just a red hair more, then lock it down with those nice Lee lock nuts with the internal O-rings. I don't see the necessity to screw another 1/8 turn because the die and shell holder will not touch when you have a case in the die-- there's a gap there of about 1/16 inch. Lightly lube your cases with Hornady Case Lube and you should have no problems.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Oil dent thoery could be on. I used this spray on stuff, silicone I think. Will take the die apart and wipe it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the problem only exists when using Norma brass, I'd just use Wichester or Remington (or whatever you've used in the past) in that particular rifle. The dent you describe does sound like too much case lube, you might try Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
some dies have a hole to let air out of die. Make sure hole is open. Look in the thread area. RCBS dies have the hole.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I'll go either too much lube or the vent in the die is blocked.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like overlube to me also. Here is a little tip for you. Go to Walmart and get a can of carburator cleaner spray which works great to remove excess lube out of your die. It will build up after you run too many through it. At .99 a can I keep a few cans in the garage for degreasing stuff.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the problem I'm getting now. I srew the die in til it just touches the shell holder, then another 1/8 turn. Lube up the shell, pull the handle... etc etc.

The shell is getting damaged just below the shoulder. Like a little dent about 5mm long (Will try and get a pic) Happens nearly every pull.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Geeting damaged what do you mean,shoulder been crushed,worked badly,body of the case been crushed inside,being damaged just below the shoulder that means you have PROBABLY a WIDE CHAMBER NEAR THIS AREA,STANDARD DIES WONT PROBABLY HELP YOU,ONE WAY TO TRY IS PARTIAL SIZING NOT WORKING THE SHOULDER,YOU NEED A SIZER THAT WILL SIZE MIMINUM IN THIS AREA.yOU HAVE TO REMAIN NEAR OR ABOVE CASE-HEAD TO THE DATUM LINE ON THE CASE SHOULDER...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you can back off that 1/8 turn and just touch the die to the shell holder but you should fit the case to your rifle chamber and then set the die right there....Isuspect that dent is an oil dent and it will fireform out when you shoot it...don't use so much grease on the case.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
It is not an oil dent, it is a crease. You cannot avoid it, some lots of brass will have it, some wont.

Your malfunction could be due to minimum headspace. Take .010" off the bottom of the die, or the shellholder and your feeding should improve.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was an oil crease. I took the die apart and cleaned it with alcohol. No probs now.

FYI.