Find
Notify
Tools

Amazing What You Find In A Box Of Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted
I was working with some old Speer .358 Flat Point 220 grain bullets for my 350 Rigby. As I picked up one from the box I realized that it didn't look "right". On closer inspection I wondered how an FMJ had gotten mixed with the soft points. Suddenly it dawned on me that Speer didn't make a 220 grain FMJ .358...... duh !!!!!

I assume that this bullet got turned upside down between the core seating and point forming steps of manufacture. Too bad, it would have been an interesting design . Looks like it even had a "locking flange" on the bottom to prevent core extrusion . Hey, maybe it was an experimental design .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yah, I got a 6MM V-max in a box of .224 caliber 68 grain hornady match bullets one time. Of course, your story tops mine. I wonder what the heck happened?

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought a box of 165 coreloks and found a bullet with 1/4 jacket and longer lead core not fully formed.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of Sierra 135 SSP's and found one bullet that had no lead, just the jacket. I contacted Sierra about it and they seemed quite concerned. They wanted the one bad bullet and the original box it came in sent back to them. They were nice enough to send me new box of bullets.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I've found such reversed bullets in a couple of boxes of 180-grain Speer .358's also. But only in boxes of the flatnosed .358" size. Curious, what??

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
OOPS! That one certianly did some slipping through the cracks..

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a flat base spitzer from Hornady in my collection of ballistic oddities, .358 diameter 250 gr, full copper jacket except for a flat base of lead, no cannelure. Whilst speaking with one of their reps on other subjects I mentioned it to him and he replied that on occassion they get inverted in the jacket swaging process then slip thru inspection. Oddly, the bullet box held proper count of usable bullets, this as a bonus prize for my long association with their products. He didn't offer a new box of bullets to assauge my consternation.

Bought a box of Sierra FB 150's in .30 cal once that had an empty jacket, and on another occasion a coreless .224 Nosler BT. Didn't have the tip either. Bet I could really make that one go with a handfull of Bullseye...

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Imagine the mess that bullet with the lead base could make if you mistakenly loaded it.

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
I found a single 7mm 160 grain Barnes XLC in a box of 165 grain .308 XLC Bullets one time. Strange things happen sometimes when you are dealing with mass-produced products.

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of bags of .358 Win. brass about a year ago. Six ropunds would not go into the shell holder when I was loading them. The fit a 30-30 shellholder. Seems I have six cases marked .358 Win. that are in reality, 356 Win.
I figure that if you crank out enough cases or bullets, a few screwups are bound to occur.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Imagine the mess that bullet with the lead base could make if you mistakenly loaded it.

It would perform as a normal FMJ bullet. If you look at military ball ammo it has exposed lead in the base. So do several other bullets such as the Partition.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once found 7 100 gr 25 caliber bullets in a box of 100 gr .264 bullets. The bullet company (Barnes) did replace the bullets and sent me a hat for my troubles. There were only 50 bullets in the box and of course if you boxed by weight be real tough to find that one. I didn't catch it until I tried to load one of them. It was a might loose in the .264 neck. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found a used condom in a new box of .30 cal 168 gr match hollow points....

<Hook67>
posted
Found a 170 grain, flat point 30 cal (30-30)exactly like that in a box of Hornadys. Called Hornady about it and the rep just said something to the effect of "accidents happen'. Did look cool though. I expect a 170 grain FMJ flatpoint would actually work pretty well..........

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of Serria .224 Blitzking (40 gr.) bullets and one of the bullets had the plastic point in backwards! A long round-ended plastic nub was exposed! Go figure!

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I found a used condom in a new box of .30 cal 168 gr match hollow points....

yuck! Gross!

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recently found a rock in a box of Sierra .257 120 grn Gamekings. Don't ask me how that got in there. I only found one damaged bullet, but the rest all hit their mark quite well.

Posts: 247 | Location: Oz | Registered: 19 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloaderman- I found one of those in a box of 224 55 grain Sierras. I thought it was a plastic tip that missed out on being formed, never thought it might have been put in backwards. Just out of curiosity,I loaded it and shot it. Stayed in the group,(100 yds)just like a normal bullet. If I ever find another I'm going to try it on a groundhog to see if it expands like a normal bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Wstrnhntr's comment applies more appropriately to this screw up?

Posts: 66 | Location: Western KY Coalfields | Registered: 11 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Hook67,

Hornady just seems to like to blame things on "accidents". In my humble experience, I purchased 3000 168gr A-Max's on Commercial Row at Camp Perry.

Six months later I open them up and start loading my ammo for the season, only to find 9-11 PER BOX were totally missing their polymer tip. The tip wasn't in the box, and the boxes were unopened.

I took pictures of all of them, with the lot numbers on the boxes, etc. Emailed them to Hornady, no response. Finally called them.....and was told the bullets were "old".

It seems they bunked a bunch of them up in 1997-1998, and never recalled them from their retailers. So when Fin, Feather & Fur(who always has a store on Commercial Row), sold them to me....it became their problem.

Hornady would do NOTHING. Let me repeat that NOTHING. I had nearly 300 bullets that were missing their tips, and they wouldn't even send me three replacement boxes.

Sierra, Nosler, and Lapua from then on for me. I carried them in a bag with me at Perry for a couple of years afterwords....

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote