New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 twist rate
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i'va just found an article about rate of twist and the proper bullets for that twist. i own a savage 112 fvss 22-250 with 1 in 12 rate of twist. so according to the formula i found, my favoritev 50 and the 55 gr.hornady v-max bullets will work best in a rifle with 1-9 rate of twist and not with mine. so what is the most accurate bullets for my rifle? do i really need to stay with 45gr. bullets or less? by the way i'm new to the reloading thing
L=(150xDxD)/T
L= LENGTH OF BULLET IN INCHES
D- BULLET DIAMETER
T=RATE OF TWIST
sambo

[ 01-28-2003, 19:49: Message edited by: sambo ]

Posts: 78 | Location: DFW, TEXAS | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hallo Sambo

To be quite honest a 1 in 12" twist is good enough for bullets up to 63 gr , the only thing that a 1 in 9" twist is good for , will be those 70 grainers used for match shooting etc. Dont be fooled by what the theory says , the only way to find out will be to test it out in your own rifle . If you are new to reloading you still have a world to discover,that I dont even think a genius can explain . But some points you should try out , would be to try out different overall lengths , and never try to get more out of a rifle than it was designed for , if you want more speed or power buy a bigger calibre [Big Grin] .

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hello sambo - Don't know where that formula came from, but, it sure doesn't sound right. Maybe it doesn't factor velocity in or something. I've used 55 B-Tips, 63 Sierras and 70 Speers in various 1/12 22-250's over the years with no stability problems.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambo, I'm still working on loads for my new 22-250, but it seems so far that the 55gr Blitzking is shooting just fine out of my 1/14 twist.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1-12 has plenty of twist for a 50-55. It will be good up to 63/64 or so and then....

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote