New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet Case Capacities vary by Manufacturer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been shooting my cz 22 hornet using 13gr of little gun and a variety of bullets. I noticed that my groups were not as consistent as I remembered them to be. Maybe the gun just needs a good cleaning.

Yesterday, I got to looking at the fired casings that were in my ammo box still by bullet type. Wow, in one set of 10 rounds I had 4 different Companies. Hornady, RP, Winchester Super, and Nosler.

I think I had best sort my brass and re-shoot them by manufacturer before I go chase a gun or scope issue.

Anybody have some water weight capacity data for 22 hornet cases?

My 2 cents.
rch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://kwk.us/cases.html

It's always wise to separate your brass by mfg. Especially with smaller cases as capacities can vary as much as 10%.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Craigster, I agree and normally would. I just didn't realize how many different brand "hornets" I had accumulated. Even mixed they were all good enough for a raccoon sized 100 yard shot, just not a squirrels head shot at 100. Would have been 50/50.

I do love my hornet, I just need to show a little more respect and sort the cases.

thanks rch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In general, Remington has thin Hornet cases, Winchester is thicker and Sako is really thick.

In such a small case as the Hornet, even little changes, such as 0.2grs of powder, will be noticed, so it would be best to keep the brass sorted by headstamp.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
RWS, SAKO, GECO, Norma and Lapua are all way thicker than the American ones.

American 22 Hornet ammo is loaded to be cheap.

Many Euros shoot the 22 Hornet in a hunter class competition. So they make a lot of match grade 22 Hornet ammo here with thick brass.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case capacities variations have long been known between brands and the reason for the warnings about keeping brands separate.

But even WITHIN A BRAND the volumes can vary between different lots so keep your lots separated.
Not only the above but even WITHIN A LOT, variations can occur and the only way to determine that is by H2O weight sorting of EVERY CASE, NOT just weighing the case which is the routinely, accepted way to separate cases and isn't really accurate for a number of reasons...argumentatively speaking.

AND...to keep things REALLY sorted for those bughole groups, you need to weight sort the bullets and measure the ogives for EVERY BULLET IN every box.

MOST of the time this analosity is overlooked or not deemed of any value, but with small capacity cases tiny variations in bullet weights, case volumes, even primers can cause large variations in groups...it just depends on what YOUR accuracy level is as to whether all these variations are worth the trouble to deal with.

I think spending the time to develop a bughole rifle is extremely satisfying, especially when I know I can hit tiny targets out at extreme ranges as long as I do my part with the conditions, hold and trigger...if I miss it's MY fault and it's MY place to determine which caused the miss and to correct it for the next shot.

You might check out http://www.saubier.com/forum.html...lots of Hornet shooters there and lots of excellent postings.

Luck beer tu2

posted Hide Post
One of the worst calibers,
I have found is the 300 Win Mag case, 8 to 12 grs case capacity's difference within the brand names etc.

Pay attention with this case.

Tia,
Don

Posts: 19 | Location: Western NV | Registered: 19 June 2016Reply With Quote