New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Presses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm considering purchasing a hand press. As in "Not bolted to a table", type press. I'm sure that they don't quite have the absolute consistancy of a regular press but will they do a reasonable job of making a bullet.

I intend on using it for 32 acp, 300 win mag and 444 marlin.

If there is someone out there with experience please answer this post.

Thanks

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I use a lee hand press and really like it. I had one for a couple of years and gave it to a friend then got another that I have used for about five years now.

I have loaded .41 mag ,.308 win, 300 win mag,270 win ,458 win , 375 ultra and 223 rem in it . The thing works great and is very strong .

[ 11-03-2003, 09:16: Message edited by: RMiller ]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It certainly would be handy to be able to load at the range when working up loads! I'll have to look into one myself.

[ 11-03-2003, 01:29: Message edited by: NotRicochet ]

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i bought a lyman accupress that can be hand held or mounted on bench; problem is it is heavy, 4 lbs. ended up bolting it to a piece of 1x4 and
"C" clamped it to a bookshelf. the lee hand press weighs 1 lb. 8 oz. and makes more sense but do not have one. do not have a huntington compac tool but every thing i read indicates that it is the best choice, weighs 3 lbs. i found a small press "C" clamped to a book shelf best and added a lee reloader press to go with the accupress.

Posts: 107 | Location: alabama | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
The hand press should be fine. The 32 and 444 should not require very much force.

I started out with a Lee Classic and that was slow, but all I wanted were high performance rounds for my 45 Colt. I later got Lee's "C" frame press and mounted it in to a piece of 3/4" plywood. I stored all my reloading equiptment (primers separately) in a rubbermaid tote and clamped the rig to a bench or counter when I was ready to reload. The method worked pretty well.

[ 11-03-2003, 08:47: Message edited by: 45LCshooter ]

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Bellhender

I have a Lee hand press and it works great.

I load .223, 6.5x55, and 270AI with it.

Regards
Deafdog

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use mine to prep brass for all my pistols and smaller rifle calibers. It affords me the luxury of resizing the brass from my recliner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
An arbor press is a jandpress as well - together with a Wilson die set it's extremely precise. For FL operations I use a Lee hand press on the range or a Rock Chucker at home.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote