THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Kennedy / Kencraft 1550 reloading bench. Opinions please!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kennedy / Kencraft 1550 reloading bench. Opinions please!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

Well, after 35 yrs. of hunting and shooting I finally decided to take the leap and start reloading. Better late than never I guess. Got all my equipment to start out with except for my bench. Was able to sweettalk the wife into letting me claim a small 56" piece of wall space in the spare bedroom for my reloading area.

Being that it's going in the bedroom, I need a bench that is somewhat "domestically" pleasing to the eye. I was going to go the base cabinet & solid core door route, but after pricing materials etc. I found that the kennedy bench that Midway sells wouldn't be much more (haven't gotten the shipping cost yet though Eeker), and would fit nicely in to that area. The bench does come with a 1 1/2" butcher block type top. But I was wondering how sturdy these really are. Does anyone use one of these?

I was also looking at the Craftsman Work benches at Sears and was considering one of those also, and replacing the MDF top with a piece of solid core door.

The bench will be sitting on a frame construction / hardwood floor, and I can lag bolt it to the wall studs if need be. I'll be mounting a Lee Turret press on it, and at present I'll be loading for the .270 WSM / 7MM-08 /.300 Sav./ .308 Win. / .35 Rem. / .375 Win. & .45 ACP.

I welcome any comments or suggestions you might have!

Thanks Guy's,

Y.B.

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kennedy bench is a very good one.

I have a Ponsness Warren 900 and a Dillon 550 on mine.

Very good value for your money.

It also looks nice.

If you don't have some thin foam rubber handy to line the drawers with, I got some indoor/outdoor runner carpet from the local building supply place, and cut some pieces to put in the drawers. That has worked well.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info LD.

Did you find the bench to be fairly sturdy as is, or did you have to do any reinforcing / modifications to it. I haven't seen one in person yet, only pics on the net.

Thanks again,

Y.B.

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't felt the need to reinforce mine.

If you are resizing 20mm, or something like that, it helps to put a couple 25# bags of shot on the bottom shelf.

If I ever need more reloaders in the house (nine at present), I would likely get another Kennedy bench to put it (them) on.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks LD, appreciate the info.

It looks like it's well constructed but hard to tell for sure from pics.

Best Wishes,

Y.B.