THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Applying the wax to Moly'd bullets - What's best practice?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Applying the wax to Moly'd bullets - What's best practice?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

I've started moly coating bullets for my target rifles and so far I seem to have gotten pretty much what folks describe, a shiny, steel-gray bullet. I need to go one step further and start waxing them.

It turns out carnauba wax is available locally, as a lot of the local citrus farmers use the stuff to "polish" their fruit for export. It comes as a wax block, a liquid and there are some other formulations they use.

For those of you that do the waxing step, how do you get the wax onto your moly coated bullets?

Many thanks

pete

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
I apply the wax using the same method for applying the moly. I use vibratory tumbler and some corn cob or just plain white rice works too. Put in some wax, I use Mothers Carnauba wax. Run for 30 min or so.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pete, I apparently do it quite similar to what Ray mentioned.

I use Liquid "Kit Car Wax" which claims to be 100% Carnuba, but I doubt that. And I use un-treated Corn Cob media to start with.

I fill the bowl of the Vibrating style Tumbler about half full of fresh un-treated Corn Cob media. Then (in my bowl) I add about 1/4 cup of the Liquid Kit Car Wax and let it run for 30 minutes to distribute the Wax.

I feel the Corn Cob to see if it is Waxy to the feel or still dry. If dry, more Liquid Wax is added and run another 30 minutes or so. Eventually the Corn Cob will feel a bit Waxy.

I remove the Moly Coated Bullets from their Tumbler Bowl with a Spaghetti Fork so as not to touch them with my hands and drop them into the Waxed Cob.

Then, I only Vibrate them in the Waxed Cob for 60 seconds. Now they can be removed with bare hands if you desire, but the Spaghetti Fork is very fast.

And the Waxed Cob is placed in a 1 gallon Zip Lock Bag for storage. The Waxed Cob gets Black looking, but it still Waxes the bullets just fine if you occasionally add a bit more Liquid Wax.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The only moly I've used have been "Store Bought" so I'm curious about what the purpose of the wax is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So your fingers don't get dirty?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
So your fingers don't get dirty?
That is one "huge benefit" when you do your own.

When I first started Moly Coating my own, they mentioned doing it in the Precision Reloading articles I'd read(years ago). Don't remember any real explaination being given at that time, but they could have and I just didn't pick up on it.

I've since wondered how "Non-Moly Coated" bullets would do if I just run them through the Wax Coating. Haven't had a rifle to try it in because all of mine use Moly.

But, now I have a new one that has not had a Moly Coated bullet through it and I eventually intend to try it. Sure would be nice if there was some kind of benefit from just the Wax.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hotcore:
I have been thinking along those same lines. It is an interesting question. Maybe a little like which came first the chicken or the egg? But what if it IS just the wax?
Now that could start the bullet coating/naked bullet wars all over again.
Any way let us all know the results of your experiment.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey muck, I'd be more than glad to, except it is a long way off. Having to help a Family member through a health issue and it is eating up the vast majority of my free time.

I still want to do it, but just don't know "when" it will happen.

I'm also interested in the results if anyone else cares to give it a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core:
Sorry to hear of health issues for your family.
I pray all will work out for the best.

As far as the "wax" experiment. This is just a hobby right? So there is never any reason to be in any hurry. Only want to encourage your efforts. And share in your results, even learn something!

The best to you
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Muck, Thanks for the kind words.

Each day is interesting, because there is always something new to contend with. Just the cycle of life though.
---

Any chance you might be interested in running some "Waxed Bullet Tests"?

Needless to say, I've had a good bit of time to think about it and might save you some time if you are interested in doing it.