New
Find
Notify
Tools

7REM MAG AND RETUMBO
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just loaded a few 140gr NBT's for a friends rifle using Retumbo. I've never used it before in 7Rem Mag. Have you? If so, how did it go?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
I just loaded a few 140gr NBT's for a friends rifle using Retumbo. I've never used it before in 7Rem Mag. Have you? If so, how did it go?

Yes I've used it with the 168 Berger VLD. Got up to around 73.0 grains and it shot well for the most part. But that powder is too slow for a 140 in my opinion. In that bullet weight I'd opt for H1000 or 4831 or even 4350.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biscuit, not a direct reply but Rel22 is awesome in the 7mm Mag.

Retumbo I found a bit slow and needed to exceed book levels to get speed. Mind you that is typical in my 7mm Mag.

One of thee biggest bugbears with this cartridge is variable chambers and you need to be an experienced reloader to take advantage.

You'll often see loads for the 7mm Mag which are about what you'll get with a 280 Rem. In real life it's no contest.

The 7mm Rem mag is a 300 fps better cartridge than anything based on the .473 headsize.

You need to be an experienced reloader to get the best out of a 7mm Mag, the current reloading manuals are very conservative because of the mentioned variable chamber sizes.

Posts: 41 | Location: Melb, Australia | Registered: 10 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Biscut, I use Retumbo in the heavier bullets 160 and above. Great powder in 175 gr clocks 2950. I think you'll find RL22 a much better powder for 140gr bullets.140gr Accubonds will clock 3300 in my rifle with less than a max load and shoots 3/4" at 200yds. My rifle has a 25" barrel.Good luck with whatever you chose.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote