New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Powder for .223 Remington
 Login/Join

Picture of Sudsy30
posted
Have been reloading for about 9 months, using H-335; Win 746; and IMR 4065 in various loads, and bullets.... for both my Ar-15 and a 700 Remington.

Have found some good results. But, was wondering what others may have found to use, and what results they have been getting.

Shooting a 55 or 60 g pill.

Any thoughts

Posts: 15 | Location: Sunny Florida | Registered: 22 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
748 all day!
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H335, which I think is W748 as well.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
W748 or BenchMark

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although it is difficult to load, 4895 is good.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Finding a powder that WON"T work well in the 223, is a lot harder than find one that WILL...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had consistancy problems with H335, particularly in cold weather.

And even magnum small rifle primers doesn't completely resolve the issue.

Benchmark on the other hand seems to be able to do no wrong.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Good powders are W748, BLC2 and Benchmark.

Great powder is Varget. Big Grin

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With 55 grain pills I have found that H4895 and Varget work better than any other powders in my 223.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 223 likes IMR4895 and 50gr Hornady Vmax.

RH

Posts: 79 | Location: Northwest Atlanta | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Difficult to find at times, but VV's N133 is also very good.

PEACE--Through Superior Firepower

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load AA2015 for .223 and 45-70.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about TAC for the 223, from guys who use it. But, we don't have any available locally, so I use Benchmark, 4198, 748, and RL-7.

Don

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
archerSo far ,with the faster twists ( not Ruger), deeper throats and heavier buullets (even up to 80VLDs.) nothing out shines Accurate 2520. DP 74 comes close. holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I get the best consistent accuracy from 20.5grs RE10X with 55VMs, shoots nice 10 shot groups @200yds. Not sure of the velocity, probably right around 3150 or so, but punches nice holes. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use H4198, H322 & Reloader 10X.

Posts: 6 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote