New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets with differen POI,horizontally
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I tried to develop loads for my present rendition of a 300 RUM rifle last weekend and detected that this was swarted by a magazine box too short to take ammo loaded to the vicinity of the rifling,so further work needed after hopefully changing the box.I did though run into a vexing situation,shot about 8 different bullets, all well off the lands because of above limitations.
One of the best seemed to be the Barnes 168gr XLc bullet loaded with 93 gr of RL 25,yielded patterns of 08 to 1 inch,nothing to write home about ,but doable in a pinch.I am planning to shoot the rifle in an upcoming hunt for Dall this August.Among others I tried the BArnes 200gr X bullet and got repeatedly patterns that all shot 1" to the left of the above 168gr bullet
shooting multiple sets,no question its the bullet that has an offset POI.I can understand a wider pattern or different drop,I cannot understand that a particular bullet flies out at an angle.Asked the Barnes Rep,he thought it is common.I am looking for similar experiences and dare I open a can of worms by asking for theories

thanks
sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is very normal fordifferent bullets to have different points of impact both vertically and horizontally.That is the reason that you should sight in with the load you intend to hunt with .

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've also noticed this on changing bullets weights & some bullet styles. If you have a rifle that shoots any brand, any weight to the same POI, you are definetly blessed! [Big Grin]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
IT is basically the difference in barrel vibration, recoil and velocity. I have experienced the same thing over the years in not only rifles but handguns as well......

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote