New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few questions from a new guy.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just picked up a bunch of old reloading stuff from an acquaintance. Some old Lyman dies for use with a tong tool, and an RCBS JR3 with dies for .308 Win., an RCBS scale and Uniflow.

I also have a Lee Anniversary kit for beginners and some dies.

• Is there such a tool as a universal decapper or must each cartridge have it's own decapper as part of the die set? I'd like to clean and sort the brass with the caps removed, first in a solution, then in vibrating media.

• The man I got this from didn't sort cases, there are a few boxes of reloads I'll use for barrel break-in, and they're a mixed bag. I'd like to sort according to headstamp. Is all Win. brass the same or do I have to separate the WW Super from the WW Super Speed and the plain WINCHESTER markings?

• What about the Remington cases, some of them have differnet stamps.

• There a few boxes of primed brass, but no loads in them. Is it OK to just fire the primers in a rifle so they can be safely removed? Or is primed brass usually safe to just load. I imagine it was sized but the cases seem dirty, they been lying around for 15-20 years.

• What's the best way to store clean brass to avoid tarnish and corrosion?

That's it for now, thanks if you can help.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll try to help.
there are several "universal de-cappers" out there. take your pick. i prefer RCBS.
sorting brass seems to be a personal thing. guys like me sort by head stamp;
win-all stamps one box
rem-"" "" ""
fed-"" "" ""
asst- whatever is left.
if the primed brass has been sitting around for enough time to tarnish i would not load it. run them through your rifle, de-cap and clean. be sure to clean your rifle when you are through.
i store my cleaned brass in a variety of ""tupperware" type comtainers. i also use a number of Folger"s large plastic coffee cans and have had no tarnish problems.
Good Luck and Good Shooting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Anniversary Kit with dies should have all you need to get started as long as the dies are the ones you need of course. There is a universal decapping die available, and any full length or neck sizing die will have a decapping rod in it. My advice on using someone elses reloads is DONT. At best, they wont chamber in your rifle because of headspace being different than your rifle. At worst, the loads may be way too hot for your rifle. Due to differences in chambering/throat specs, and someone elses belief of what maximum really is for a particular bullet and powder charge. This goes for anyones reloads in your rifle, or your loads in anyone elses rifles too. Not sure if there is any difference in headstamps other than age, but weighing the cases should point out anything major. Its up to you whether or not to shoot just the primer to get the brass or just get new cases, dont load them though. If their that old some might just misfire. The way I have been able to reduce corrosion is to use Imperial Sizing Die Wax, wiped off after FL sizing seems to keep corrosion away. The best course is to buy a new bag of brass and start with stuff you are sure of. Using old brass may seem inexpensive at first, but usually costs more in the end. Have Fun! Big Grin

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice.

I just got finished cleaning up the RCBS press , what kind of lube does the main shaft get, grease or oil?

What about dies, can they take a shot of something like Sheath on the threads and exterior to keep them from corroding?

I imagine the interiors of the dies need cleaning, what best to use?

I get your point about new brass but i'm going to experiment a bit with some of the old cases to get the hang of it.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cleaning dies -just use what you use on your guns. Hoppes #9 works well, and one of the brass "toothbrush" style brushes for the detachable pieces, appropriate caliber rifle brush for the inside surface, then rinse with GunScrubber or Brake Cleaner. I prefer coating with CorrosionX for storage, you can also put a dessicant pack in the die case. Brownell's sells a variety of sizes for different uses. The dies will need to be cleaned before using them again if you use some kind of oil/grease coating. I use the dies, spray them with CorrosionX for storage, then do the cleaning before I use them again so I only have to clean them once between load sessions. This also gives the CorrosionX time to penetrate under any smeared on metal and release it from the die.

I prefer using lithium grease on the main ram of my press; just a very light coating, then run the ram over it's full travel a few times and wipe up any excess that collects.

Sorting headstamps - what you are actually trying to accomplish is getting all the brass in a lot to have the same interior volume so that the same amount of powder will result in the same amount of pressure. So anytime the headstamp changes; and even sometimes when it doesn't; different dies will have been used to manufacture the brass and that can mean the brass has changed it's interior volume. Some people also weigh the brass and sort on the weight to help accomplish this task.

Storing Brass - not sure if there is a good way to avoid tarnish during storage, I don't want to oil etc. my brass as it would be difficult to clean when I wanted to load it. Try using a air-tight container (rubbermaid or tupperware etc) so that if tarnish does start, the oxygen etc is used up so the process will stop.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your old tong tool dies may well have a "universal" decapper included with them. If there is a â…ž" adapter included you are well served. There may be neck sizer dies that could come in handy too.
You need not be too timid about pressing out live primers in a press if you are thoughtful about it and note where the blast will send things in the event of a mishap. I have done a couple of thousand without a pop, and still use the primers for fireforming and plinking.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually have the Lyman universal decapper along with dies but I never received the tong tool itself. Lyman no longer makes them so I have asearch in on Ebay.
So you're saying you decap live primers and then use them again?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I removed them gently, and I have had no misfires with them.
With the â…ž" adapter, you use the nutcracker dies in your regular presses.
Regards,
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

just got off the phone with Lyman and they said they don't make an adapter to use the small dies in a regualr press. Is that adapter from another company?

Thanks, Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must have talked with the same person that I have at Lyman; not well-informed.

The 7/8 x 14 adaptor is #7392036 (p.14 of their current catalog), and costs $7.25 plus $4.00 shipping. It is also used to mount the #55 powder measure to a press. You can order it from Lyman online. I haven't seen it listed by any of the major vendors, and I looked.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good man Winchester 69, thank you. I'll order in the morning.

Hey, does look like the animal? It's from Midway.

Lyman Adapter

Recoil Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
My mistake, I don't have the Lyman Universal decapper so I'll order one for my 7/8-14 press.

You know, while looking around on Ebay for Lyman parts I noticed that the old die sets are worth some money to the CAS crowd. The .300 Sav. set I have will bring at least $40 and the .35 Rem even more. I think I'll just sell the stuff and buy some sets of full length resizing dies for the 7/8-14 press.

Thanks, Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get one of the .223 decapping punches and bases from Lee and decap about anything with it using a plastic faced hammer. It keeps the primer ash out of your loading press.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote