New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warm Barrel Groups
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have noticed that both of my rilfes tend to shot the second and third bullet of a 3 shot group to a different point of impact than the first. My first shot is usually 3/4" to 1" lower and slightly left of the other two. My second and third shot frequently touch. Both of my rifles have free floated barrels and pillar bedded actions. I'm assuming that the difference is due to heating in the barrel as I shoot. Is this common?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are the first three shots from a clean barrel or fouled barrel? I found out the hard way that my 300 Weatherby needs 3 fouling shots, and then the groups after that settle in.

Let the barrel cool, then fire a second three shot group from a "fouled" barrel. Each gun is different though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fire at least one fouling shot before shooting any groups. I clean the barrel about every 20 rounds. I never have the patience to wait for the barrel to cool when shooting from the bench. I shoot groups with rounds about 1 min apart.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the gun shoot, "cold" day after day with a "dirty" barrel?

Great groups are fun, but when on a long hunting trip, how it shoots cold and dirty everyday is what counts.

I have "cheap" E R Shaw barrel that shoots fair "groups", but puts the first cold one spot one everyday.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It shoots well cold and dirty, around 3/4" inch. I'm just wondering if other people see the shift in impact as the barrel heats up. I could cut my groups in half if there's some way to fix it. My rifle is more than accurate enough for hunting. I'm just wondering about if I could improve my paper groups from the bench. Do benchrest shooters fire warming rounds or anything like that before competition?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your gun shoot 3/4" cold, not much more you could ask of it. That is more than plenty good for hunting.

Ask your question on the Bench Rest Forum about warm barrels etc, maybe they can help you.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not at all unusual. in fact it is probably more common than not. it is what the old " one shot group" phrase is about. Hunters really need to know where the 1st shot goes both from a clean barrel and from a fouled one in comparison to the rest of the group. The other frequence is to have the groups open up as the barrel warms up.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have the same experience as Terry. From a cold "dirty" barrel the shot is point-aimed, point-hit. The group opens up after that on my stock Model 70's and CZ 550. So, as long as that first shot from a cold barrel is exactly where I want it, I don't spend a lot of time working on tightening up groups. It really makes no difference when hunting.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought I had this problem too, until I realized my impact was really from the clean barrel.

So now, I shoot all my groups after 3 foulers. I'll even not clean my barrel for 100 or so rounds if I am shooting that much within a week or 10 days. GASP!