Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: seating to the lands
 Login/Join

posted
I load just short of the lans because that was what was considered prudent when I began to reload.

I've always been able to achieve safe and consistant loads that way so I figured it was 'law'.

Loading to or short of the lans is an issue, I think, that will always generate spirited conversation of the pros and cons.

Another of my thoughts, and I might be in left field trying to play soccer on this one, is knowing there are inconsistancies in all handloading equipment taking the time to ensure each and every round just barely touches the lans, etc. seems to be a pain in the butt for what little advantage it might give.

Just my thoughts, of course and I might well be wrong.

Posts: 12 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 280 that loves to be seated just touching the lands. No big deal. Just watch for signs of exessive pressure. If my primers were cratering and I would back off the lands or powder charge.
Most calibers I shoot like stiff loads, but few do their best when at absolute max (beyond where exessive pressure starts to show).

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you sort the bullets by bearing surface lenght,..then they would all be exactly the same distance,..but that is really getting technical.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote