Find
Notify
Tools

Scirocco is impressive...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
A gunsmith who built one of my 270's wrote me the following in an email about the Scirocco (I personally don't even know what a Juenke is):

"I did get some 75 gr. .224 Sirocco's in the other day that Juenke spin better than most handmade, benchrest match bullets...I was very impressed with their quality.

I've spun on the Juenke spinner a ton of different bullets...all types & brands...hunting, varmint, match...lead tip, poly tip, hollow point...etc. etc. I have never seen such uniformity come out of a factory, mass produced bullet...much less a bonded core bullet. I make a 80 gr. .224 hot fusion bonded core lead tip bullet called the "Hammer" and they are dang hard to make...my hat is off to them. Now I've got to see if it will drop deer and antelope in their tracks like the Hammer bullet does."

So, to that, all I have to say is that the 180 Scirocco sure killed the heck out of my bear at less than 10 yards. I've seen pictures and heard stories about Scirocco virtually turning inside out but mine blew right through 2 shoulders...go figure.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Juenke is a sophisticated and expensive gadget that somehow measures a bullet's concenricity or something. A google search should be illuminating.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As MarkL indicates, the Juenke electronically measures the concentricity, along with the thickness of the jacket, I believe. A few dedicated benchresters will "Juenke" all of their bullets (or at least a sample of each given lot).

Juenke readings are rather "over analyzing" a game bullet, but it's nice to know that the Sciroccos (at least from this particular lot) are nice and consistent. What counts with the Scirocco is how it acts on game. The fact that it expands well and DOESN'T retain all of its weight speaks well of its performance as a game-killer. Why it has suddenly become fashionable to regard bullets that act more like FMJ's than soft-noses as "good" game bullets is a puzzle to me. I guess that the "good blood trail" they leave makes chasing a wounded animal somehow more sporting that just walking up to the spot where it collapsed at the shot.

At any rate, the biggest drawback that I've heard with the Scirocco is in its pure copper jacket. Pure copper is ductile and makes for nicely controlled expansion, but alot of it also tends to stick in the lands of your barrel.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juenke's machine does more than measure concentricity for jacketed bullets. It evaluates internal uniformity, both on jacketed and lead bullets. Bullet quality is enormously important in regards to accuracy, balance about the long axis being key. The device will detect variations in jacket wall thickness and voids as well. There is no such thing as a perfectly balanced bullet, just ones that are less out of whack than others. Dropping a box of bullets on the floor will cause damage the Juenke device can detect FWIW. They are expensive, and probably not necessary for any but competitors and long range shooters. I wouldn't call them expensive, but they aren't cheap either. Last I checked about 4 years back they were in the $600. range.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Why it has suddenly become fashionable to regard bullets that act more like FMJ's than soft-noses as "good" game bullets is a puzzle to me. I guess that the "good blood trail" they leave makes chasing a wounded animal somehow more sporting that just walking up to the spot where it collapsed at the shot."

Stonecreek, I spit tea all over my computer board when I read this. lol

I totally agree thumb

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still like Nosler's accubond. Experience with the Scirocco leads me to say that they're soft and don't penetrate as well as some others. That, plus the cost, have turned me away from them.