New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems with forming 256 Newton brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am pretty new at reloading so i wonder if someone with more experience could maybe pinpoint my problem.I have been forming 256 brass from 270 win brass but i find that i am having problems chambering the loaded ammo in my original Newton rifle. the overall length is within spec,and the unloaded cases will chamber easily.I need some advice I really want to get this wonderfull old rifle shooting.

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to make up a dummy round?

Since this is a pretty old rifle I would advise 2 things.

1. Verify it is still wearing the barrel, bore and chamber you are loading for.

2. Make up a dummy round and check chambering.
Seat the bullet deeper until it chambers.
Check that against the specifications. There is a good chance that the specification and your rifle are different.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply,yes the rifle still has the original barrel and is still a 256 newton.It has been in the family for 82 years! I will try seating the bullets deeper but i dont think thats the problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and used to form brass from 30-06.

Because when you size, you are essentially turning some "thick" shoulder brass into neck brass I always had to ream the inside of the necks.

Everything is fine while the case is empty, but when you insert a bullet into the case the thicker portion of the neck will not chamber with a bullet in the case.

You may be able to solve the problem with outside neck reaming.

You can also buy 256 Newton brass made by Jamison at Midway. Try buying a box of those if you do not want to inside or outside neck ream/turn, and see if that solves your problem.

You could also try necking up a 25-06 and see if you have the same problem.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Color over a loaded round with a permanent marker and try it in the chamber. If your sized and trimmed brass fits and the bullets are seated to the correct depth I can think of tow things to check on.

1. You are bumping the end of the neck with the crimp shoulder and bulging the neck or shoulder or both.

2. The neck of the chamber is too tight for your your loaded rounds.
This you can check if you have a long tapered punch and a micrometer.

Take a sized case that will chamber.
Insert the tapered punch into the neck and expand it slightly. Try to chamber.
Repeat until the case neck is so large that it drags in the chamber neck when chambered.
Once you get the expanded case where it drags in the neck measure the neck of your expanded case at the mouth where it is dragging. Compare to one of your loaded rounds. The loaded round should be at least .003 smalled than the chamber neck.
If your loaded rounds are too large try to make a few using Winchester brass. It is often thinner than other brands.
If this does not work you may have to turn your brass.

Oh yeah
make sure you are not using the wrong bullets.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you barstooler looking closely i cansee a small doughnut on the case neck maybe the necks do have to be reemed out.I live in Canada,Nova Scotia actually so getting some Jamison brass could be a problem.You americans have some pretty strict laws when it comes to exporting firearm related materials.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Wilson Case Trimmer that also holds a 6.5 Wilson Reamer.

You can order both at Natchez or Midway or any suitable substitute.

This very problem is why I got tired of messing around with my 256 Newton and built myself a 6.5-06

Barstooler

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bearhunter762:
Thank you barstooler looking closely i cansee a small doughnut on the case neck maybe the necks do have to be reemed out.I live in Canada,Nova Scotia actually so getting some Jamison brass could be a problem.You americans have some pretty strict laws when it comes to exporting firearm related materials.

Hell. If the laws permitted you could ship your brass to me and I would ream it and ship it back....as long as it was a reasonable quantity. That hand reaming is teadious.

Barstooler