New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for LC Match brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a stash of 88 pieces of '72 LC Match brass that I don't even remember purchasing and plan to resize as 300 Savage. I would like to pick up another dozen pieces to round out to an even 100 (preferably '72 headstamp… because I'm OCD) but haven't seen LC Match brass listed anywhere for several years.

I realize this isn't the trading post, but if anyone has some "extras" laying around that they would be willing to part with please let me know!

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year of production was '92 or '93.

Current production will be head stamped LR
(long range)& does not have the radial knurl at the web of the case.

There are better brass options available.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapua brass available -better choice than LC IMHO

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Lapua brass in my 6.5x55 but it seems like overkill for converting to 300 Savage!

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Perhaps, but 6.5X55 brass is more readily available than 300 Savage.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but 6.5X55 brass is more readily available than 300 Savage.

Yes it is... which is precisely why I go to all the trouble of making 300 Savage brass from 308 Win.

And while there may be better brass choices than LC match when reloading for a .308, I have yet to find anything better for resizing to 300 Savage for use in an old 99!

one of us
posted Hide Post
LC brass is as good as you can get, there is no brass that will outlast it..I use a lot of it and have over about 60 years..I use a grain less in max loads, than I do with WW as a rule..also a grain less if I use the 215 instead of a 210..If I anneal about every 10 or more loading, life starts all over from 0 with that stuff..

Not saying lapua and other brass is bad, its good stuff for sure but my intent is to give LC its due..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
LC brass is as good as you can get, there is no brass that will outlast it..I use a lot of it and have over about 60 years..I use a grain less in max loads, than I do with WW as a rule..also a grain less if I use the 215 instead of a 210..If I anneal about every 10 or more loading, life starts all over from 0 with that stuff..

Not saying lapua and other brass is bad, its good stuff for sure but my intent is to give LC its due..

One needs to venture out of the dark ages.

ATK was run out of LC Army Ammo plant for numerous reasons.

on a scale of 1-10
LC brass is a 5 at best!

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
LC 72 Match brass (cal 30 of course) is the only brass that I can make 400 Whelen out of without annealing, nor fear of ever cracking.
Better neck and shoulder annealing.
I have not used any later LC brass. But remember, this brass was never designed to reload; it is to reliably fire, ONCE. So if you have issues with it, .....

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had no trouble reforming my existing batch of LC 72 Match brass to 300 Savage, which involves moving a good bit of metal around. Other than the fact that I almost ripped the press from my bench it was easy. That's why I'm looking for some more!

Brian

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; I've done exactly what you are doing. What helps is not trying to ram the case into the die all at once; push and pull it out, and redistributing the lube on the case with every stroke; it will take 3 or 4 strokes to get it fully in.
I also put a 6 inch extension, threaded on, onto my Rock Chucker handle. Long ago. I mean decades ago.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote