New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm SAUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anticipating a successful draw tomorrow for my WY elk tag, I want to start the planning of load development in my new 7mm SAUM. For deer and hogs, I worked up a load with the 120 BT with RL 19. I probably could substitute a 120 gr TTSX with that load but I think a 120 gr is a little light for bull elk. I have a box of 100 of the Hornady 139 gr. SST bullets. Thought is to find a good load then substitute a 139 gr. GMX and go shoot my bull.

I have some RL 17; Ramshot Hunter; H-4350 on hand. I have some H-4831 but I'm thinking that is a little slow. Anyone having any luck with any of the newer powders with the 140 gr. class of bullets? didn’t know if some of the new Enduron or RL powders are magical in the 7 SAUM

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-Roy I have found that RL19 and 140 gr TSX bullets to work well in my 700, 7SAUM. IMR 4350 is not bad either. If you want to try Enduron powder I would suggest 4955. Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RL 19 was definitely the star when I was working up loads for the 120 BT. I may be overthinking but I want to use only temperature stable powders. Just don't want to take a chance since this is not an over the counter tag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If this is a once in a lifetime hunt I would get quality projectiles of appropriate mass. You know elk so you decide but if it were kudu in SA and elk can be larger... I would be looking for a good 160gr in a 7mm.

And the very best of luck to you, Sir! I hope you draw.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot through a couple very big elk with the 140 gr Barnes TSX bullets. They will out penetrate many of the 160 gr cup and core type bullets.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a couple 4 shot groups with some factory Nosler Custom ammo with the 160 gr. Accubonds. This load is stupid accurate for factory ammo. I need to chrono it and see what kind of velocity I'm getting. If the speed is there reloading could be a mute point if that factory stuff is consistently that accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My short mag liked 160 gr Combined Technology 7mm Fail Safe bullets. Supposedly too expensive to continue manufacturing. I do have some of them left that I would part with. PM if interested.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not intend to suggest that a TSX doesn't penetrate. For that matter a GS will probably out penetrate a Barnes TSX. It really depends on what you demand and like in an expanding bullet and what performance you expect on either a close shot or a longer shot. But we are drifting out towards the realms of bullet performance, so I will leave it there.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Hi Roy,

In my 22" SAUM I drive a 140 AB at around 3,050fps with no pressure signs. I can't recall off the top of my head but I think I'm using H4831sc. It groups about 1/2" at 100 and 1.25" pretty consistently at 200.

I've also used 150 E-Tips and got 2850 fps with RL19. Accuracy was again more than acceptable, in the 1/2-3/4" range.

In Africa I used a 150 e-Tip at 3,000 fps in my 7mm RM and use it to down several critters up to Eland. Zebra, Red/Blue/Black Beests all dropped. The only bullet I recovered was from the zebra after 30"+ of penetration. (*the Eland did stop the bullet, and he took two...but the skinners didn't try real hard to find the bullets).

I'd say pick the 140-160 of your choice, drive it at 2,850 + and don't worry about it. Smiler

I like the Hodgdon 4831 and 4350 powders. You might get more velocity out of RL19 or 22...if that actually mmatters to you. My experience in Africa told me 3k is plenty of juice.

My pet load: 140AB, 64.5 H4831sc. 3,000 fps average on the button.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
I have shot through a couple very big elk with the 140 gr Barnes TSX bullets. They will out penetrate many of the 160 gr cup and core type bullets.

All true!
Zeke