THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Qustion on using .40-70 Sharps brass to form .375 NE.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Qustion on using .40-70 Sharps brass to form .375 NE.
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for some help with loading the .375x2.5" Nitro Express cartridge. I need to obtain cases and I am hoping that someone may have some load data they can share or point me towards.

I have formed cases from 30-40 Krag cases but they come out 1/4" shorter than the proper cases. I see the correct ones for sale at over $63 per 20 (!!!!) but I am hoping for a cheaper route to finding cases of the correct length.

It appears that the 40-70 Sharps (straight wall) might be close enough to form and trim and these are available at under $1 each. More my speed. Anyone have any experience with this situation? Any other suggestions?

On load data, I feel like I am playing the mad scientist, here. Really have no starting point or reference for loading this round. Don't want any hot rod loads, but don't want to under-load it to the point of being silly, either. Anyone have any ideas?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr Frank,
I have also used blown out 30-40 cases and they do work to a degree. The best available case now might be the 405 Winchester, I think Hornady makes them. Midway was selling them for about $37.00/50 last time I looked.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2006 Midway Master Catalog Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges part#942-114 $59.99, The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions part#815-626 $26.99 RCBS used to list cartridge case conversions in their catalog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr Frank,
Dug out my reloading log and these are the loads I use in my 375/2.5. In the blown out 30-40 cases I use the Speer 235 sp over 44 gr of IMR 3031 and a large rifle primer, CCI in my case. Velocity is 1950 FPS, shoots about 4" high with my sights but is a good mild hunting load in my rifle. In the full length Bertram cases I use a Lyman cast 265 GC over 38 gr of 3031 with a tuft of dacron about the size of a marble. The ogive of the Speer 235 is too long to use in this case so if you want to use a jacketed bullet you need a round nose. Both of these loads are quite mild showing no signs of pressure in my rifle but shoot well, 2" or so, and work well on deer/medium hogs. Hope these help.

Posts: 367 | Location: South east Georgia | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might try .303 British cases as they are the same in the head. I am uncertain about them solving the length problem fully, however.

Geo.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote