New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Rem loads for BarnesX 400gr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I still have a box of 400gr BarnesX bullets as well as some 400gr Nosler Partitions.It appears that I have trouble loading them with my usual powder ,RL15
I load the soft Hornady 400gr,NorthFork 370gr and Bridgers over 78gr RL 15,which needs a bit of tapping to settle the powder charge.
But with the long 400gr Barnes that wont do,appears not enough room above the powder.I was able to crush the cartridge down a bit as the powder wouldnt give anymore.

Any better successes are appreciated

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Use a long drop tube, I was able to get 82 grains of RL-15 in my cases.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ricciardelli
,I have also been able to get 82 gr of powder in but that allowed me to load only "short bullets".I am using a short dropfunnnel of ~ 5" drop,you are prob talking 1-2 feet drop?
and could you load Barnes thereafter to OAL of the magazine?
thanks

If this works,how does one manufacture above drop funnel cheaply?

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Barnes manual lists 78 grains as the max for that bullet. In the coated XLC bullet (same bullet) they jump up to 80 grains. Longer drop tube must be the trick.

Posts: 2852 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never cram powder in a DGR cartridge, thats asking for trouble, use a faster powder like 4895 and that takes care of the problem and gets you the desired velocity without compaction...

You can get away with using 84 grs. or RL-15 with the new 350 gr. Triple X bullet as it has a flat base and compaction is only slight, not so with the old 350 gr. bullet as you have found out.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
For this load from my gun, which printed one-hole groups, I used 75 grains of IMR 4064. THIS WAS WITH MOLY-COATED BULLETS! Therefore, you should figure your max load at two grains lighter than this, at 73 grains. Start at least 10 percent below that and work up.

For what it's worth, I don't shoot moly in anything anymore.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I load the soft Hornady 400gr, NorthFork 370gr and Bridgers over 78gr RL 15,which needs a bit of tapping to settle the powder charge.

For my 370-grain North Forks, I'm using 81.0 grains of RL-15. For a long, long time now, I've been using extension tubes between the funnel and the case AND I've been "swirling" the powder into the funnel, before it goes down the tube. This has produced the best results for load density without much, if any, compression required.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all tips,

I get 2500fps with 78gr RL 15 under my 370gr NorthForks.
Using a small ~ 5" droptube from MTM(?)
tapping the case lightly with a screwdriver settles the powder a bit more,so no problems there.
I thought I would stay at 2500 fps rather than going higher.

The Cu Barnes are a real problem because of their length.
I think it needs a different powder.
People here reported loads for the 350gr as well as the 400gr Barnes X,the latter prob being the worst to load.
Dont know who reported loading BARNES X 350 & 400gr over 81 gr RL15 on this Forum,I cant ram the bullets down over that load without crumbling the case.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Try H4895, I use 76 grs. with the 400 gr. Hornady RNSP for 2410 fps in my 24" barreled Ruger No1.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote