New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trimming cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need educated on trimming cases. I will be trimming 30-06 and 308.

Thanks

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Trim 30-06 to 2.485" length.
Trim 308 to 2.005"
Do you have calipers,trimmer etc.
What do you need to know exactly?

[ 11-11-2003, 06:26: Message edited by: covey16 ]

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Measure all your .308 cases and trim them all the the length of the shortest.

Do the same with your '06 cases...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two [2] Lyman power case trimmers and one manual trimmer. I use a Lyman case length gage. If that does not have the caliber I need, I get a Lee case trimmer/gage.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
I need educated on trimming cases. I will be trimming 30-06 and 308.

Thanks

A little more info would help....trimming can be done with a Lee hand held preset trimmer,a lathe type hand cranked or powered bench tool or a "form/trim" die with a press and hand file.....in all cases the brass should be full length resized and trimmed to the book reccomended trim length measured with a good steel caliper.....this length is the SAAMI chamber length minus .010 and keeps the case from hitting the end of the chamber and causing pressure spikes....IF you want to trimm just exactly for YOUR guns chamber...Sinclair and others? offer a sliding plug to use a fired case and the insert to find your specific guns chamber length.....easy and fast....just keeps from having to "overtrimm" in some guns.....clean the necks inside before trimming with a old bore brush and a slight amount of sizing lube in the neck makes the process easier and smoother...turn the crank or hand tool with steady motion and don't "force" the cutter into the neck too firmly....it will tear and chatter the brass mouth.......recheck your setting on adjustable trimmers after the first few cases and every 25 or so to make sure the adjustments haven't changed...at least untill you get used to the tools.....after trimming then use a deburr/chamfer tool to remove the burrs made by the cutter to the inside and outside of the case mouth and use a cloth or Q tip to clean the left over lube from the case mouth insides.....keep track of how many times you trimm the cases and keep the cases in different batchs-lots together and when one grows out past the trimm length then trimm all in that batch......your sizing procedure,die-chamber match and pressure-action type will cause case growth and need for trimming....after 3 trimmings be sure to check for case body thinning and case seperation near the base of the case body inside with a bent metal probe or Casemaster type tool.......the 30-06/308 aren't bad as some cartridges can be about that.......double check the trim length and your first trimmed cases and keep good log records of the brass life/trimming/firings by batch/lots.......HTH..good luck and good shooting!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigdaddytacp, that is excellent.

I have a good steel caliper and a couple reloading books that include trim length. But I need everything else.

Can I get a recommendation for make and brad of trimmer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best Trimmer : WIlSON
reason: rectagular trimming without any wiggling
you can get it at Sinclair
I used all others,"chuck" held trimmers before
they all work,but wilson makes sense of the operation
sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of the redding case trimmer. It is a crank type but can be upgraded to a powered type with an adaptor later. Midwayusa.com has them for about $55.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Wilson trimmer, in my opinion, is the simplest and best on the market. Also one of the least expensive.

Sinclair International, a rather pricey store for precision shooters, lists the Wilson trimmer for $31.50 and cartridge holders for $6.50 each.

There are other dealers who probably will discount those prices.

Wilson is renowned for manufacturing precision shooting and reloading accessories. Has been in business for more than 50 years.

Posts: 26 | Location: Tekamah, Nebr. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruno Shooters Supply of Phoenix, Ariz., is offering the Wilson trimmer for $25.75 and case holders for $4.50.

I don't know anything about the company except to say they offer precision benchrest rifles at rather high prices.

Posts: 26 | Location: Tekamah, Nebr. | Registered: 26 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddunn:
Bigdaddytacp, that is excellent.

I have a good steel caliper and a couple reloading books that include trim length. But I need everything else.

Can I get a recommendation for make and brad of trimmer?

For just easy trimming of a few cases the Lee system is cheap and reliable....but for more cases and expanding to other task the hand crank style is better if more expensive..the Wilson is the upper end standard and worth it for really serious work.....but the RCBS trim pro-manual with the case holding plates is good and fast and works well for me.....I also have the Forster lathe style hand crank trimmer with the collet and it trimms well and you can get outside neck turner for use with it if you ever go that far in handloading......a properly sized nut on the crank bolt and a electric screwdriver and you can power your trimming and speed up the process.....the Lee sells a similar case holder to use with the screwdriver to trim with their hand held single case trim mentioned earlier......these are time and hand savers.......check with the "usual suspects" .....Midway,Grafs,Cabalas and Sinclair(for the Wilson and others) for the best price and the "kits" often save money over the individual peices....the RCBS power add on seems too expensive unless you are going to load large batchs of ammo such as match shooting...to me.......and the Lee is the least costly just for your two cases....same cutter-just different trim length rods......don't forget the good deburr tool....RCBS,FOrster,Wilson....all look the same and except for the long angle speciality deburrers for the VLD bullets they all work the same.....and again go slow with them to get smooth cuts....sinclair sells a screwdriver holder for the tool to save the fingers if you get into the biger batchs.......keep a old toothbrush at the trimmer to clean the trimmings away from the cutter to let it seat the pilot in the neck smoothly.......good luck and good shooting-loading again!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The easy way is to get a form/file trim die from either RCBS or Redding. Screw the die into your press like a FL sizing die. After the slack is out of the press linkage, back the die out a half turn and lock the ring. Lube the case with Imperial sizing wax and run the case into the die. Take a fine tooth hacksaw and cut off what is sticking out of the die. Do all of your cases. Now screw the die back down to take out the slack in the press linkage and take off what sticks out with a file and deburr the inside of the case. If you have used a RCBS die all you have to do is deburr the outside of the case neck and you are ready to go. If you use a Redding you will need to run the case into your FL sizing die for one last adjustment.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops..I misread your post. YOu will be triming 30-06 and .308. I thought you would be triming 30-06 TO .308, which can be done. I load both rounds and have both Wilson and Forster trimmers, but still use file trim die for routine case trimming in both 30-06 and .308 and about twenty other calibers.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chargar, you are way more ambitious than I am. I am just looking for consistent hunting and light target practice loads. :-)