THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Anoyone use 60 gr. Nosler Partitions in their .22?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anoyone use 60 gr. Nosler Partitions in their .22?
 Login/Join

Picture of JVD22250
posted
I just picked up some 60 gr. Nosler Partitions for my .22-250. I was thinking they might be good for coyotes (little hide damage) Just wondering if anyone has used these and what for.

Thanks!

John VanDusen
Ishpeming, MI
"YOOPERLAND U.S.A."

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about using them in one of my sporter weight .220 Swifts for close-in deer and antelope. But I don't think a 1:14 twist will stabilize them.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. I just sent off a query to Speer asking what twist rate would stabilize their 55 gr trophy bonded bear claw, I'll let you know what they say.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried the 60 gr. Nosler Partition's in a 22-250 Remington Mini-Mauser, a .223 Remnington Heym and Blaser .222 & .223 Remington barrels.

All four rifles so far have not delivered any resonable (for me - 1.5"-2" groups) accuracy (Clem, your point is well-taken on expectations) with this bullet (Ugh!), so far I've tried (in the various cartridges) H-322, H-4895, IMR-4320, VV N130 and VV N-140.

I did mange to get all four rifles to shoot the Sierra 55 Grain GameKing HP's very well.

My best "Big Game" load for the .224's so far has been the RWS 74 grain Kone Point (an expensive & difficult to obtain bullet) which is actually manufactured for the 5.6x57(R). Delivered excellent accuracy with 24.0 grains of IMR-4320 in the .223 Remington and kills with a golf ball sized exit wound.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
I was thinking about using them in one of my sporter weight .220 Swifts for close-in deer and antelope. But I don't think a 1:14 twist will stabilize them.

My fathers Ruger 77 in .220 Swift would not stablize them.

Switched to 53 grain TSX.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't overlook Sierra's 63 grain bullet. It's a semi-spitzer and stabilizes in my 1-14 twist.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey guys noslers 60 grain partition will be stable in a 1-14 twist,ive not shot them in my rifles as yet but i plan on it,my 220 swift and 223 also have 1-14 twist and i can shoot speers 70 grain semi-spitzer no problem works on deer great but place your shot,no punn on nosler bullets their great as are most makes, regards jjmp wave

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
My fathers Ruger 77 in .220 Swift would not stablize them.

Switched to 53 grain TSX.

I kind of made a decision to go with the Sierra 55 grain Spitzer boat tail bullet for that .220 Swift.

It worked well in one of my .22-250's.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've used the 53g. Barnes in my 22-250 on top of a healthy dose of Varget with good results on paper and hide. JMHO

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use 23 gr of RL-11 behind them in a 222 blaser ks95 & it groups under 3/4".

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them in my .22 Newton & worked fair...but not a good test as the Newton is .228" barrel &
1 in 8" twist for 90 gr. .228 bullets, not .224".
The .227" 70 gr. Hornadys worked best. I'd like to find a maker to produce .228" bullets (heavy) to
wring the potential from the .228 Newton, so far no sucess, just some promises. Anyone have any handle on someone who would make .228" bullets of about 85-90 gr weight? Then my .22 Newton would overtake a .22-250 at 300 yards & up.
Best Regards, Tom

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of JVD22250
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

It's been my observation (.30-06) that partitions typicaly shoot better the faster I shoot them. I'll load some up hot and let you know how it went.

John VanDusen
Ishpeming, MI
"YOOPERLAND U.S.A."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
they are the only bullet I have found that will stay together in my 22-378 Wby-Ackley Improved.
A box per barrel, but my my what fun to shoot every now and then. As a side note, they will go into the low-low .3"s at 4800fps.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho...you got to be kidding...a 22-378?? Can you post a picture.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
A bunch of whitetail have met there dimise with a 60 grain pill from my 22-6mm

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These bullets were the first US made bullets I found that would work in my 5.6x57mm, then I found the 64 grain Winchester that works even better.

LLS

Mannlicher Collector

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
I load them for my ma-in-law's .222 Rem. She shoots deer with them (she refuses to try anything bigger for fear of recoil). Same as anything else........put the bullet in the gearbox, the deer dies. She shoots a Savage (325???) and can get 1 1/2" or 2" at 100.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ricciardelli

The 55 Sierras are a go to bullet in the Swift, I've shot a bunch of deer with them as well and they're all still dead. By the way after a lot of experimentation, if you rebarrel yours, go with a 1-12 twist barrel, will shoot better with the 50-55's and a lot better with the 60's, no down side to this twist.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
jstevens: I've tried (still trying) the 60 gr. Nosler Partition in my Encore (1-12 twist), so far not very good results. About 1 1/2" to 2" best! I'm in process of trying hotter loads seated closer to lands, if that doesn't work, I'll give up & go back to 55 gr. V-Max or others which group excellent in my gun. Was looking for load to use on wolf hunt that may be more fur friendly.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote