THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Difficulty closing a neck sized cartridge? - Range results

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difficulty closing a neck sized cartridge? - Range results
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johanv
posted
Hi Everyone,

As promised here are the range results from a previous thread. http://forums.accuratereloadin...381057951#3381057951

It was not the best of days for tight groups. wind gusting between 20 - 30mph. Targets would not stand still for long enough. I did get positive results on the range though and have tested them in the field as well. 2x Warthog head shots 60-100m and 2 impala heart shots all exited 1 shot kills (the 1 impala ran maybe 15y), very little meat loss on the Impala with 150gr Woodleigh PPSN in my .270W Brno.

Best group .47", 50.3gr S365, Win cases, CCI 200, Primers at avg. vel. 2775ft/s.

[/IMG]

The little extra needed to close the bolt did not worry me at all in the field. Accuracy good enough and cases should last longer so neck sizing it will be for me. To your experience after how many reloads do you usually have to full length size again?

Cheers
Johan

Posts: 160 | Location: Johannesburg- South Africa | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Johanv, you usually do a full resize every 3rd time of reloading. In my .270win I had 3 shots cutting one another on the target with S365 @ 49.6gr with Hirtenberg and Federal 215 (both primer = magnum) AOL82.0mm. With necksizing you need to test for donust in the inside of te case neck more often.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I read you other thread as well and I believe that your shoulkder is moving forward as a result of using a FL die to neck size. If you adjust the die down until it just touches the base of the neck & shoulder, you will eliminate the problem. You will have a virtually full length sized case but that headspaces correctly on the shoulder AND fits your chamber.

As long as the bolt face is not shaving off brass from the case head you should be ok with a slight crush fit.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11183 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote