New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outside Neck Turning Question.
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys,

Just brought some brand new Norma 6.5/284 brass, to form into 6mm/284. My rifle is tight necked at .270, and I have to turn all my necks.

Do you usually neckturn before sizing down, then size down the brass, then perform a final neck turning -OR- size down to 6mm then turn the necks?

Regards & merry xmas,

Michael.

Posts: 20 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Michael,

Welcome to the forum.

We normally neck down then turn the necks.

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto Saeeds suggestion. if it a pure competition rifle,..then neck down,..turn necks,..fireform, then another slight turn for any remaining high spots.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my unending quest for accuracy I decided to turn some necks on my 204 Ruger Ruger #1. Brass was twice fired. I was getting bad runout and thought this might help.

I cut just enough to clean the entire neck, resized the neck loaded with 32gr Hornady an I4895. Off to the range.

The following images show the difference. Quite noticeable increase in accuracy. This rifle had not been this consistant with standard reloads. I'm quite happy....except that now I have to turn all my necks..

Just thought I'd share what I found.

Jim

Small, kinda hard to see... Not turned (top img) is .9375" Turned (bottom img) is .500 ( including Jim's flinch) and .233 for the other 4 shots.

I realize that one or two groups do not make a universal imperative. More range time will be required.

Liberals make me puke.

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If we're talking tight, custom chambers then turning the necks is definitely beneficial, but I don't see it being much help with factory chambers. They're simply too large and sloppy to begin with. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Of course neck turning will benefit large sloppy chamber chambers. Not to the extent that a tight neck chamber will benefit but UNIFORMITY is the name of the game. If you have the time and the inclination to match prep your brass then you will derive the benefit of UNIFORMITY and that is definitely worth doing. It's also possible to destroy a lot of brass. If it's a factory chamber just knock the high spots off.

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote