Find
Notify
Tools

Measuring OAL and such
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Tell me about measuring OAL with fancy instruments. I typically use the "close the bolt on a dummy round then measure" technique, but I know there are better ways. What about the Stoney Point OAL Gauge or the RCBS Precision Mic? Is one better than the other? Is there something else out there I should check out? The RCBS PM might be a little more versatile in that it tells you something about chamber dimensions, right? Help me out here, I need some information.

Thanks

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got both instruments and I like the Stoney Point better because of its ease of use. The way I see it is I can spend $38.00 each caliber for the RCBS or I can spend $30.00 one time cost plus $6.00 for each threaded case and check all my rifles. Stoney point headspace gauge and bullet comparator kits are good and are include adapters to cover most all popular calibers.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the "Sinclair Bullet Seating Depth Tool" http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=09-400&type=store
Its a little cheaper than the Stoney Point and doesn't require modified cartridges. It works for me.
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stoney piont tools is a great idea but finding the right depth can be tricky because you need tho feel when the bullet hits the lands and thats not entirely obvious. I find that I can sometimes push a little to hard against the lands and sometimes not enough so I don't have complete confidence in the measurement. It can be useful though when used to compare measurements obtained through other means.

Try the RCBS. I am.

Lazo

Posts: 56 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote