Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ProChrono @ midway
 Login/Join

posted
Hey all I asked about the shooting chrony and got some good and bad reviews on it. After finding out that the shooting chrony if refurbished (The price is $50 and there all out so the price for a new one will be $100) so after finding this out I got to looking at the ProChrono you can see it at www.competitionelectronics.com under shooting products. This is only about $20 more than the shooting chrony. Do any of you guys have any input as to getting this model or should I just stick to the shooting chrony. Thanks for your help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No experience with their current models, but I have an older one that they replaced ($45, iirc) after my brother centered it with a .50 AE. It is a GREAT chronograph, and VERY reliable. I have a Chrony and I prefer the Competition Electronics product.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one about 8 years ago that worked great. I gave it to a buddy when I "retired" from shooting. After about 5 years, I decided to get back into it, and had to order a new one. Both of mine were the ProChrono Digitals, and my new one works just as well as my old one. I even ordered a remote control for my new one, which also works nice when the range is too crowded to walk out to reset it. Well worth the money, and (IMO) far superior to the Shooting Chrony's I have seen others using. Much larger area to shoot through and more reliable skyscreens.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I replaced my Chrony with a ProChrono Plus, with remote control. I'm very happy with it, and it is without doubt a nicer chronograph than the Chrony. Big shooting area is a real comfort for lousy shots like myself.

I'd say well worth the extra $20, if you have it lying around.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok I went to midway and looked at all of their chronos and I think for another $27 ($127 total) Im seriously thinking about the PACT model 1XP anyone have one. I'd rather just get the ProChrono but if I end up shooting the damn thing I'm out $100 plus shipping. But this PACT model from what I've read and seen so far if you shoot it all you would have to do is buy the stuff that is on the track in front of you since the brain box (or they say the chrono) is right next to you. Anyone have the PACT model 1XP. Any grips or prasies about it.

posted Hide Post
Also if one were to shoot the PACT model 1XP where do you get extra parts at assuming that everything in front of you if broke to all hell and back with the exception of the track how much does it cost to replace it??? Thanksfor your help guys. I'm the type that dont like to waste money I dont want to buy one thing and wishing I spent money on something else.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I like my Prochrono much more than the Chrony I was using.

If I'm not mistaken, Cabelas has been selling the Prochrono for $99.

Here's a Prochrono NIB for $73.50:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROCHRONO-PAL-CHRONOGRAPH-NIB_W0QQi...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I opted for the shooting chrony from cabela's and have been happy with, no problems. More or less expect to have it shot thru one day with other people wanting to see their bullets velocity, then will probally get another like that one. I have a PACT digital scale and it performs great compared to other scales I have tried, PACT should hvae parts and support.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I've used a Prochrono for nearly fifteen years... love it.

posted Hide Post
How about the PACT model guys. I'm looking at this one really hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ditchdoc:
How about the PACT model guys. I'm looking at this one really hard.

I haven't used the PACT unit, but I do recall quite a few comments about the skyscreens not being as reliable as the Oehler. And some of the people who bought them weren't all that thrilled.
More of a hassle to set up, too with separate cables for the front and rear screens. And those skyscreens are not all that cheap either, if you are planning on shooting them. Around $20 or more plus shipping (apiece). I managed to shoot a couple of the Oehler screens years ago with another shooter's Desert Eagle in .357. He didn't even offer to help pay for the new screens! As long as you are shooting off a stable rest with a rifle that is sighted in, you shouldn't have a problem shooting the chronograph. IMO, the ProChrono is easier to pack, faster to set up and more reliable (based on the comments I have read on various boards) than the PACT. Maybe the PACT's have improved since then, and Oehler is no longer offering his units to the public, so you pay your money and take your chances.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote