New
Find
Notify
Tools

paper patch bullets
 Login/Join

<tacticalvarminter>
posted
I purchased december's issue of Handloader mag, and it has an article on making paper jackets for bullets. I have been interested in BPCR for a while so I thought I would try a paper jacket in my 257 roberts. I have a lot of 20# computer paper laying around, mag says = .004 thicknes x4=.016+.243=.259, allowing for loss of dia. due to stetch and shrinkage, that should work. I am curios as to whether or not anyone else has tried anything similar, or could sugest a starting point to load these? they are 100 gr hornady spire points. any replies or e-mails will be appreciated thanx

<Eric>
posted
Check with Huntington's <http://www.huntingtons.com>, they have a book expressly on paper patch bullets. "The Paper Jacket" by Paul Mathews for $14.00. It is my understanding that paper patch bullets have been driven in excess of 3000 fps sucessfully.

Buy the book, its worth the money.

REgards,

Eric

http://www.sandygunworks.com

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I regularly use paper patching for both lead and jacketed projectiles in odd calibres. For example for my 404 Jeff, I use a 400gn 0.410 cast for 416 Rigby with 2 full wraps of bank 50 paper for a finished size of 0.425.
I do cheat on the patched by having the length of them caculated using AutoCAD software, then simply printed on alaser and cut to size.
I have also patched jacketed 180x30 cal projectiles for a friends 318 WR by rolling the jacket between 2 files untill they take a slight knurled appearance then 2 wraps of Bank 50 to finish at 0.319. These are shot with full loads and give about 2.5in groups at 100 yards.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a site for you to review.
http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/PPB/PPB.html
Most PP bullets are soft lead but as you have read some have patched jacketed bullets. The bullet you use should just ride or just cut into the rifling. The paper fills the bore and is cut by the rifling. The softer the core the better the bullet obdurates (?) deforms to fill the bore. I had played around by patching up bullets to fire in my 8mm using paper freezer tape. There you want the paper to stay on till impact. My results were improving with each tweaking of less crimp and lube. You can approach full loads with PP, best of luck JB

Posts: 104 | Location: Roanoke, VA , USA | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muffin
posted Hide Post
I curently paper patch for two guns one is my Marlin cowboy gun, 45-70, and the other is a cape gun in 40 something or other, so far I've been unable to identify the cartridge, though it's real close to the 40-40 Maynard. You must read the book, the Paper Jacket, by Matthews, also look up on the web 'making and shooting paper patched bullets'. I can tell you it takes a bit, not much, just a 'bit' to get up and running, once you do, it's enjoyable like case prep work. But the results are great. A paper patched bullet can actually clean the bore as it goes down the bbl. I have yet to let any metal touch the bore on my cowboy gun....you can read that 'no lead and or copper fouling'. Initial load testing was done with a Weaver K2.5 and final groups are in the inch to inch and a quarter range at 100yds. I shoot a 510grn Paper Patched bullet, on top of 33 grns of Reloader 7, muzzel velocity is around 1425 fps, recoil is firm, but not as crisp as the 1600 fp loads were before I backed down. Just imagine 510grns of dead soft lead coming at you at that speed. In soft damp sand the bullet turns completely inside out, more than doubles in caliber and can be used for a small ash tray, add a little tin or otherwise harden it some and they work on such small game as American bison, others have been there and done that. The smallest bullet I have patched was 35 cal, the smallest any one patched in any quantity I believe was 22, but it takes small nimble fingers. The whole process , though, really shines with the big bores. Read the books, any more questions just ask. It's worth the effort IMHO. Gene