Find
Notify
Tools

H-116 powder - what is it similiar to??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I have 32 pounds of H116 powder and Hornady will only give me one specific load for the 7.62x39 for this powder. Does anyone have experience with this powder and know what it is
similiar to? If it is appropriate, I would like to use it also for .221 Fireball with 40gr bullets.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been said that H116 is the same as surplus WC680 and/or the old commercial W680. Take it with a grain of salt, but they are close in burn rate. Should be a little slower than N120.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Accurate 1680 is the "same" as WC680. Don't know about H116.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with Powder Valley Supply for their comments on its "lineage". It is supposed to be W680, sold by Win when they dropped it from the their lineup.
AA1680 is superb in the Fireball behind the 40gr pills; I use 20.0gr for ~3600fps. W680/H116 is a slightly faster powder, so I would start around 16.5-17.0gr.
In Handloader magazine, Ken Waters used W680 behind the 40 grainers with great success.
I will see if I can locate my copy.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information on H116!

RELOAD - ITS FUN!