New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wilson Case Trimmer - Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am new to reloading and just got my case trimmer with zero, nada, zip instructions, kinda tough on us non-engineering type. How does one put pressure on the case mouth? Just by pressing in on the handle while turning? Does the case holder set the length or is set some other way? What is done with the screw in device? Does one have to go thru this entire process with each case? Must take forever? I have emailed Sinclair with these questions but since they are the ones sending zero instructions I thought ya'll would respond with more hands on details.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muygrande:
I am new to reloading and just got my case trimmer with zero, nada, zip instructions, kinda tough on us non-engineering type. How does one put pressure on the case mouth? Just by pressing in on the handle while turning? [QUOTE]

In short the answer is yes, but the pressure you apply shouldn't be excessive. Whenever the trimming operation isn't smooth and easy, you're applying too much pressure to the crank.

quote:
Does the case holder set the length or is set some other way? What is done with the screw in device? Does one have to go thru this entire process with each case? Must take forever? I have emailed Sinclair with these questions but since they are the ones sending zero instructions I thought ya'll would respond with more hands on details.
quote:

The case holder does as it says: it holds cases, but it also centers them negating the need for pilots, so in return one gets a nice square-cut case mouth. The screw device to which you refer DOES set the trim length desired. It needs adjusting only when one switches calibres and case holders, not for each individual case. For example, if you load only 30-06s it will never need readjusting unless compensating for some kind of mechanical wear.

It might sound like a pain, but what you have is one of the simplest and best trimmers out there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you had only spent a few more dollars and got the one with the mic on the end life would be extremely easy and you would have a cadillac of trimmers. I love mine. Unless budget is a problem try to exchange it or just buy the mic attachment.
Try calling Sinclair also. They are always very helpful.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dwight. Give Sinclair a call and ask if they will install a micrometer head on your trimmer.

I have used just about every trimmer available over the last few decades.

The Wilson (especially with the micrometer head) is far and away the most precise.

You will grow to love it very quickly.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses and Sinclair even returned my email. I trimmed a few last evening and think I understand. Did chamber a couple of trimmed '06 cases and felt a little "crunch" when closing the bolt.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Wilson (especially with the micrometer head) is far and away the most precise.

yep, no question about that! bought mine a few months back and am surprisingly pleased how accurate this mic trimmer is.......worth the bucks.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote