New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Whisper
 Login/Join

<bert r .smith>
posted
Any one out there shoot the 300 Whisper? Can you use this 300W to hunt with? If so what.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bert:

I don't own one, but have shot a silenced version on a Ruger that was very accurate using 200Gr(As I recall)MKs. Would group into a 1/2 inch at 100 yards.

However, because of the very low velocity, it is designed primarily for human targets and I would not recommend it for any large game hunting, unless you were going to take just head shots at say, feral hogs. I am sure it would kill a deer with a head or a side rib cage lung shot, but in the lungs, the lack of speed would very likely make for a long search or a lost animal. Of course, any small game would not do well with a .308 diamter hole in them, so I guess it would work for that. It is a fun round, but not a real hunting round IMO.

To back up a minute, I don't know what velocities might be possible with lighter bullets and, if it could be pumped up into the 2000 Fps range, then it would become a marginal deer round, sort of like a lite .30-30.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<ranb>
posted
With 125 grain bullets, it is close in power to the 30-30 or 7.62x39. With heavier subsonic bullets you would be better off with a flat tip design. I am experimenting with a cast 325 grain bullet with a flat nose. Have not shot an animal with it though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
More info please

One of Us
Picture of desmobob900ss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bert r .smith:
Any one out there shoot the 300 Whisper? Can you use this 300W to hunt with? If so what.

I just read about it a few minutes ago in Barnes' "Cartridges of the World". When loaded to supersonic velocities using 125 - and 150-grain bullets, it is reported to be "outstanding for deer and other medium game."
They say it is superior to the 30-30 chambering in Contender pistols. And the 30-30 Contender is certainly an able deer killer.

Good shooting,
desmobob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one.
With 125 to 150 grain ballistic tips it would be a capable deer round out to 150 yards (pick your shots).

With 240 grain SMK's at 1,050 fps it is capable of taking out two legged varmints out to 200 meters (IF you know the distance exactly).

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed that this is a five-year old thread?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:

So I did a search found a couple threads that are on the subject that I am curently interested in.. dancing

I have been doing some gel tests as I try to work up some loads. I am not seeing what I expected.

The 125gr bullets shroom nicely and punches a nice very small hole through several inchs of gel.
The 150gr-168gr bullets are interesting. Some open, some don't, some tumble, some don't. This is with a limited testing and several differnt types and gr of bullets.
The 240gr tumbles and leaves almost no permanent hole.

To be honest,
I think I will use the 240gr when I need to go silent.
I have no clue what to do when I want to go supersonic. Fast light, less pen, or continue to look for the right heavy bullet/load.

I am looking for people who have used the 300-221 on live targets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a bag of doughnuts in the pantry that is older than this thread.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
In Illinois, I believe the 300 whisper is one of only 2 bottleneck rounds approved for deer hunting during pistol season (all others are straight wall- 357, 44M etc).

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote