posted
Hi!

Here is my best hunting load:

Rem.case
CCI LR 250 (Mag)
SPEER Grand Slam 160grs
Norma MRP 56grs. (max in my rifle)
1mm free-flight (free-bore?!)

The only cartridge that shoot "hole in hole" in my rifle at 100 yrd and I�m lucky that also is my hunting load for medium-big game.

Jonas, Sweden

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Jonas. I hope to have my new .280 up running next month & would like to use 160gr Nosler Part. Do you know what kind of vel. you are getting & what bbl. does your .280 have?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi!

My .280 have a 22" stainless barrel (Ruger MKII RBZ).
I have no chrono but the theory-speed will be around 2750 fps.

I have not yet try Nosler Part. 160grs. and I see no need for it when speer works great, proberly ethier the moose feel the diffirens between Part. or Grand S. 160grs.

/jonas

[This message has been edited by Jonas (edited 08-29-2001).]

<Pygmy>
posted
Fred... In '89, my partner and I both took Alaska bull moose with our .280's..

We were both shooting my handloads featuring 160 Nosler partitions and IMR 4350.....

His bull was a one shot kill with a lung shot..

Mine took two but only because the moose was unaware that he was dead after the first shot...

I don't know the velocity but my partner shot a bull caribou at around 300 yards with his .280 with the same load..

<Long Shot>
posted
fredj338,

Try IMR7828 w/ the 160 gr Partition. It gives the best accuracy and velocity out of my Weatherby LT in .280. My load is just under max in Nosler#4 Relaoding quide. Measured velocity is 2878 fps.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Longshot, That's what I'm hoping to get from mine. I've tried 7828 in my 7mm Dakota w/ good results. Sounds like a good place to start.
Pygmy, I don't plan on using it on moose (that's why I have a .338-06) but I wouldn't hesitate w/ a good bullet & the right shot.
Thanks guys.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Nice with some good answers!

Sounds like most of us .280 hunters like the 160grs. bullets.
And the classics premium bullets like partion and grand slam are enough for the .280 velocity.

I will try some 150grs. Part. and see how they perform. I think they also can handle a moose.
What thinks the other .280 hunters?

Jonas

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My Sauer 202 in 7x64 (.280 Rem's twin) shoots its std. hunting load into <.75 MOA. Apart from powder and bullet brand, it's amazingly close to your's :

Sierra SPBT GK 160 / N 160 / 56.0 / CCI 250.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Pygmy>
posted
Jonas....Actually, I prefer 140 grain bullets for most game, including deer and caribou, but I believe the 160 grain bullets are a better choice for very large game such as elk or moose...

I have tried 150 grain bullets in my .280, which is a Winchester M70, but my rifle does not group them as well as the 140 grain or the 160 grain bullets...

<jayloar>
posted
I have a 280 Improved and it's favorite flavor is 160 gr Nosler Partition on top of IMR 7828 at 3000 fps. That 160 Partition makes short work of elk and deer. One bull I shot took only one step before dropping dead as a door nail with a shot through the lungs. I find that usually big game animals run about 40 yards after a lung shot.