New
Find
Notify
Tools

How about some 18-1/2 barreled 30-06 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am progressing with my new toy, and am wondering what some good loads may be.

I will try my standard hunting load of 180 grain Nosler Partitions over 55 grains of IMR 4350, CCI 200 Primer in Win cases first. As long as it isn't too big of a flame thrower and yields around 2500 fps I may just stick with it.

I have 748 and IMR 4064 on hand to try as well.

This is for under 200 yards in the PA woods. This is a (mostly anyhow)pre 64 Win 70.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1616 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
4350 and the 30-06 are buddies

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
4350 and the 30-06 are buddies

oldAs are 3031 to 4895. flame roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
4895 is just "Garand" in a manner of speaking..

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 03 in 06 scout rifle with a 18.5 I load 4831 behind a 220gr sp kills pigs well.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I like the faster powders in my short barreled '06. Not looking for speed anyway, just pleasant good shooting loads. The bullet does all the work and at 200 yards or less, you can get down to 300 Savage velocity and work well. I appreciate the lower report and mild recoil and find all of the folks that use that rifle do as well. 4895 and or 4064 work well as others have mentioned. I really like a mild load behind a 220 grain RN bullet. Hits game hard and has a softer recoil impulse. Yep, I know what the numbers are but felt recoil is FELT. Noise is too.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For hunting loads in my 30-06 Tanker Garand I use IMR 3031. I use the old school National Match loads.
They are plenty accurate, have less flash and blast in shorter barrels.

I use IMR 3031 because I have a lot of it. One of the 4895's would do just as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loads are the same, just the velocity is generally lower than a longer barrel. You'll still get highest velocity with the same powders that produce the highest velocity in a 26" barrel.
Never had an issue with flash myself and don't know which powders have flash suppressants but would think newer powders, as the "problem" with flash seems to be a new problem...

Posts: 130 | Location: AZ | Registered: 17 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never had an issue with flash myself and don't know which powders have flash suppressants but would think newer powders, as the "problem" with flash seems to be a new problem...

First define the problem

If having a two foot or bigger diameter fire ball in low light conditions is not a problem then flash isn't.

If having such a fire ball is a problem then the flash is.

Muzzle flash has always been a problem for the military and those using firearms in self-defense situations.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
That fireball is also a Jet engine driving the gun rearward. Might not mean much to many folks but true none the less.
and; if one has their eyes open at the time the fireball appears in low light, you have flashed your Pupil and it needs time to recover. Again, that may not be a problem to most.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 49gr of 4064 and 165gr bullets with very good results in several 06s. It killed Mn. deer just fine.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old One of the best walking and climbing hunters I ever knew was a young fella in Colorado back in the 60s. I loaded a lot of 150 grain bullets with 4895 for his Mod. 760 with a 18" barrel. He took a lot of mulies and elk with that rifle. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
bartsche,
Read your post and remembered I was a young fellow who walked and climbed a lot in Colorado but in the 70's. I also had a Remington 760 that I cut the barrel off with a hacksaw and filed it flat, broke the edge with sandpaper and killed my first bull the next morning. At that time was shooting Red Box Federal 165's and killing things happily. That bull died but he changed my mind about those 165's. I went up in weight and caliber after that.
Best regards,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My trusty, proven 30-06 load shoots just fine and no fireball in daylight. I may get around to chronographing one day but it was plenty accurate and will do just fine.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1616 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote