New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 ruger reloading help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I got a set of redding fl 416 ruger dies. Let me start off by saying that new brass can be inserted in the chamber and the bolt goes down fine, as with once fired brass. Now after I run them through the fl re sizing die the brass will still go into my chamber and the bolt will close easy.. Its when I seat a bullet such as hornady 400gr interbond or a speer mag tip, its very tight to close the bolt handle. The col is no different from factory so I know the bullet isnt hitting the lands. Its almost like the neck is expanding more when I seat the bullet in and the shoulder pushes back..I am lost. Should I try different dies? Thanks for listening and if anyone has any suggestions please respond.

Posts: 28 | Location: SE,AK | Registered: 10 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Color your bullet with a magic marker and chamber then check to see if it hits the lands. Bullets don`t all have the same nose geometry and the correct COL for one isn`t all inclusive.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
I think you are likely collapsing the shoulder. The shoulder is quite sharp and it doesn't take much to squish it outward. I experienced this when I first began reloading this round.

Be gentle when you are seating bullets, and make sure there is sufficient lube inside the case neck. This should solve the problem.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
Color your bullet with a magic marker and chamber then check to see if it hits the lands. Bullets don`t all have the same nose geometry and the correct COL for one isn`t all inclusive.

+1 tu2

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Back your seating die out half a turn and then re-adjust your seating stem height. It sounds like the case mouth is hitting the top of the cut in the seating die, which pushes it down and makes a bulge at the shoulder.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote