Notify
Tools

22accurate RF, Range fire
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
EekerWent to put on the scope rings and found out that the dove tail width is about .040" to narrow for Weaver type rings. It is not the std. dovetail used on other 22s useing 3/4" tubes either. ...
That is REALLLLLY bad news. Did it say anything in the Owner's Manual about using a specific set of Rings from one company? I do believe I'd invest the time into calling Savage Customer Service and asking them what is going on.

I just called SanDisk today and raised a ruckus with their Customer Service. The young fellow took it all in stride and was even able to resolve a problem I've tried to ignore for a couple of years - over the phone - amazing. Doubt the Savage folks can get an extra 0.040" on the Base "over the phone" though. holycow

The more I think about it, the worse that issue is. Might be worth a return trip to Savage and let them get it fixed. Are the Bases "Milled-In" to the Receiver, or are they screw-on style Bases?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
QUOTE]That is REALLLLLY bad news. Did it say anything in the Owner's Manual about using a specific set of Rings from one company? NO, NO, NOI do believe I'd invest the time into calling Savage Customer Service and asking them what is going on.They kept me on hold for over 1/2 hour until their switch board closed That ain't no toll free number either.

Doubt the Savage folks can get an extra 0.040" on the Base "over the phone" though. holycow

The more I think about it, the worse that issue is. Might be worth a return trip to Savage and let them get it fixed. beerHey ole buddy they only pay for one way shipping. I know! Are the Bases "Milled-In" to the Receiver, MadNOor are they screw-on style Bases?YES
horseroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could call them for you on the Hot Line, let them know we are discussing this disaster on the net, fire them up, and tell them to call you.

That kind of Customer Service would tend to wind me up even more.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
I could call them for you on the Hot Line, let them know we are discussing this disaster on the net, fire them up, and tell them to call you.

That kind of Customer Service would tend to wind me up even more.

thumbIf you think it will do some good have at it. But if it results in an exercise in just stirring up some shit stir forget it. Thanks beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't really enjoy stir, but I do like to hold people accountable for selling improperly dimensioned rifles. If they don't know they did it, they can't ever get the problem fixed. Or the fool fired who made the scrap to begin with.

Just looked back and "Oldcoyote" mentioned using the Adjustable Millett Rings. Sounds like an excellent idea.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how well it shoots for you. Have you got a bunch of "different" 22Rimfire ammo layed back?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how well it shoots for you. Have you got a bunch of "different" 22Rimfire ammo layed back?

coffeeweighing 22LRs today. BOOMroger

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingSorted 100 PMC Zappers and 500 Remington HPs by weight.

popcornThe Zapper spread was 52.6 grains to 53.7 grains.
popcornThe Rem HPs ranged from 50.8 grains to 52.3 grains.

bewildered Surprisingly there was not a Bell curve distribution for either. The groups with the largest quantity were emphaticly, both , on the highest end of the distribution.

Both type cartriges were separated into 5 groups.
Roll EyesIf the rings get here quickly enough and can be fudged to work we'll try this ammo out with the new rifle Wed. 2020roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
coffeeweighing 22LRs today. BOOMroger
This may be a bit late to help you, but here is what I did.

I took some "Wide Lined Paper" and wrote 50.0gr at the very top of one sheet. Then skipped two lines and wrote .1gr, skip two more and .2gr, etc., down to .9gr. Then another sheet. With some of the Rimfire brands, one sheet is enough. thumb With some, three sheets is barely enough. thumbdown

I lay the sheets atop a synthetic pad on the table where I clean firearms. That way when you lay a 22LR on the paper next to the appropriate Weight, it will barely sink down and not roll off onto the floor. For me, this reduces the hassle factor at least 10 exponentials.

Then I take a 100 or 50 count empty CCI Plastic 22LR box and place some Masking Tape along the side. The Weight Sorted Cases go in and become Color Coded with the Weight noted on the Tape. I slide the Top shut as I go along, just to reduce the possibility of ramping-the exponential back up(aka Klutzing them all over the floor). Big Grin

The newest Federal Champion 22LRs come in a cardboard box, but are held individually inside, within a plastic tray. Masking Tape will fit along side it too, but not as well as the CCI boxes.

Eley boxes work well. The Remington Target boxes are designed to "save space" by staggering rows. It is a hassle to use them, but the Color Coding saves the day.
-----

By the way, I found that setting one of the Remington Target boxes next to the Scale allows me to rest the edge of my hand on the box while easing the 22LR onto the Scale with my fingers.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something here? stir I just buy a box of cartridges and go out and murder possums! Big Grin

beer

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ThreeO, What your missing is a lot of anguish.
It comes from shooting groups, and when a good group is spoiled by a flyer.

Then the punters decide to find out how to stop that from happening. The best way is to by a $4,000.00 rifle and $80.00 a 100 ammo.

Or you can buy cheaper stuff and try to do quality control. Weighing, rim thickness, chants etc. and eventually you go mad. I'm there now.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
...Or you can buy cheaper stuff and try to do quality control. Weighing, rim thickness, chants etc. and eventually you go mad. I'm there now.
I'm headed to join JAL and I'll guess that Bartsche isn't too far behind. rotflmo

When you cut a group that measures 0.08" with the "1-Flier" (that JAL mentioned) which opens the Group to 0.3", it tends to grind on you. Of course, if you are really old, eyes dimming and you can no longer run 3 miles in 18min without raising your heartbeat 20-30 points, you have plenty of available excuses. BOOM

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JAL:
... .
I'm headed to join JAL and I'll guess that Bartsche isn't too far behind. rotflmo

Of course, if you are really old, eyes dimming and you can no longer run 3 miles in 18min without raising your heartbeat 20-30 points, you have plenty of available excuses. BOOM

FrownerHe said that for my benefit. popcornroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, just to sort the grain from the chaff, I'll also add - couldn't catch a Halibut if one was despirately needed. That lets Bartsche out, since he can, along with something that looks like Ling with HUGE Chompers. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned my all time favorite fun gun, the fine old Marlin 39A. Not as accurate as a CZ, Anschultz for sure but, fired off hand and other positions in the woods and fields, I'm no shooting bench either. Real world shooting more than cancels any fine accuracy the others may have so my 39 is plenty accurate enough.

Many hunters get a Marlin 336 and then turn to the 39 for plinking and practice. I did it reverse, only got my 336 several years after the 39. I just loved that little gun so well I had to have something for white tail too so I got a 336/.35. Love it too.

Deer, squirrels and rabbits hate both of them!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Barsche, Time to hear a Range Report on that new Savage rifle.

I got to go shoot-up some stuff that I knew for absolutely positively sure - my rifle wouldn't shoot worth a pile of beans. And it didn't:

1. Real old Win Super X Mark IVs ... 10-shots 1.35". Went everywhere, nothing was Safe!
2. Real old Fed Power Flight ........... 20-shots 1.45". 14 in a nice hole but 6 randomly wild.
3. Real old Fed Lightning ................ 16-shots 0.73". Had 4 that opened the group to that size.
4. Not too old Rem Subsonic ........... 15-shots 0.93". One opened it from 0.53".

Even had an "excuse" ready(the old sun-in-the-eyes trick) for the last Group, but it actually did fairly well. The Weight-Sorted Remington Target cut a 0.43" hole for 9-shots. Was supposed to be 10, but one was a Dud. Tried it 3 more times, but it was totally dead.

Needed a Scope Tube Extender and ran out of time to roll up one out of paper.
-----

Probably save the one additional box of Fed Power Flight to "Loan" to folks who want to see who buys Supper. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Probably save the one additional box of Fed Power Flight to "Loan" to folks who want to see who buys Supper.
Wink
quote:
1. Real old Win Super X Mark IVs ... 10-shots 1.35". Went everywhere, nothing was Safe!
2. Real old Fed Power Flight ........... 20-shots 1.45". 14 in a nice hole but 6 randomly wild.
3. Real old Fed Lightning ................ 16-shots 0.73". Had 4 that opened the group to that size.
4. Not too old Rem Subsonic ........... 15-shots 0.93". One opened it from 0.53".
With all those ammo brands and types?! (Must have been the shooter!) Smiler

Just out of interest, Hot Core how much did the groups shift from ammo type to type?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 303Guy, Good question. I'll reference the Group Positions in Radial Degrees, with 0/360deg straight up.

1. Scattered about like a shotgun pattern within the 1.35" area. A few touching each other, but not enough to think the spread was Trigger Yanking error. Basically no Group at all. The rifle just did not like this ammo. Previous 5-shot group with all at 51.1gr was a 1.1" spread with 3 touching. I don't think this ammo is being produced anymore.

Weight Variance:
50.5gr - 1
50.6gr - 1
50.8gr - 1
51.1gr - 4
51.2gr - 2

2. Primary 15of20-shot Group at 45deg from POA. One shot at 350deg, two touching at 80deg and two touching at 45deg which are not within the Group. Overall 1.45". I don't think this ammo is being produced anymore.

Weight Variance:
50.0gr - 11
50.2gr - 8
50.3gr - 1

3. Primary 14of16-shot Group at 45deg, but centered closer to the POA than #2. One at 80deg and one at 100deg which nearly got into the Group. These surprised me a bit because they had shot a scattered 5-shot 1.2" pattern previously, with all 5 the same Weight. I don't think this ammo is being produced anymore.

Weight Variance:
51.5gr - 1
51.7gr - 5
52.0gr - 10

4. Primarily two linear strings. One at 125deg and another at 135deg. One single shot at 130deg opened the actual Group an additional 0.4". This ammo is still in production.

Weight Variance:
48.5gr - 3
48.6gr - 1
48.8gr - 2
48.9gr - 2
49.1gr - 3
49.2gr - 1
49.4gr - 4
50.0gr - 2

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Barsche, Time to hear a Range Report on that new Savage rifle. QUOTE]

Mickey Moused the mounting of a 3-9x40 scope (long story) and went to the range but the wind absolutely blew us off. Some time in the future and hopefully with a more powerfull scope.

Posting 22 rf. sorting on another thread. Frownerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bartsche, I have a thread going on Weight-Sorting on the Rimfire Board. You can stick your data in it if you want to.

That wind is tricky.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornPosted also on rimfire! Roll Eyes

What I am doing is a duplication of others in sorting 22RF LR ammo by weight. I,ve been using the MTM DS 1250 scale as is HC.

Zapper, From 52.6gr to 53.7grain in 5 groups

Remington HP , 50.8grauns to 52.3 grains. 5 groups.

Blazer, (51.5 grains, 114), (51.7grains, 271), (51.9grains, 136),(51.2 grains, 1), (51.4 grains, 2), 53.1grains,1).Never wuth the MTM scale did 51.3, 51.6, or 51.8 display.

Win Wildcat.(51.7grains,3), (51.9grains, 54), (52.0 grains,54),(52.2grains,57), (52.3 grains,24), (52.5grains,11). Not once in the sorting did the numbers 51.8, 52.1,or 52.4, appear on the scale.

The weight of a number of bullets were checked on this scale and in all it seemed to measure rather close to the appropriate weight.

The MTM will be crossed checked further with the ever infallible Redding balance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The MTM web site mentions it is accurate to 0.2gr. That is what you are seeing, which is the same as I saw.

Might not be the best for Reloading, but sure works fine for Weight-Sorting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Rifleman's Guide To Rimfire Ammunition
by Steven Boelter

http://www.zediker.com/books/rimfire/rimfiremain.html

He tests for accuracy and velocity 90 types of 22 long rifle ammo, 5 types of shorts, 19 types WMR ammo, one type of 17 Aguila, 3 types of 17M2, 8 types of 17HRM, a chapter on chambers, and a chapter on barrel tuners.

This guy would have $200k in engineer and technician hours into writing this book if he had someone else do the research and it is not even available on Amazon.

Writing gun books is no way to make a living.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerThe saga continues! After cutting a lot of stainless shims and glueing them to the bases and rings, the rings finally locked on the bases. thumbNext I mounted the 6-24 X 40 BSA scope that resently arrived.The scope power adjustment turns just fine but the magnification does not increase.

The problems I've had with scopes this last year is realy surprising and new projects are not easey anymore.Challanging-Yes. Easey -NO. Confusedroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
....The scope power adjustment turns just fine but the magnification does not increase....
thumbdown

You do seem to be snake-bit.
-----

Been messing with Color Coding the Bullet Holes. Orange for CCI, Red for Win, Blue for Fed and Green for Rem.

Needed something behind the Holes in the 3-ring binder, so it was easier viewing. Working right well so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at the bolt actions CZ's - at the last KC gun show I was at, a fellow selling CZ's had targets shot at 50 yds that had tiny 5 shot groups on them (sorry, no statistics, I'm a terrible reporter). I have been messing with a 10/22, putting various parts, the latest a Shilen barrel, on it. But it has never been a tack driver like bolt actions I have seen. Confused

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.mtguns.com/used_rifles.htm

When you're finished with all that, get something out of MT Guns, 3 week test drive--OK. A older Anschutz, Walther, or Russian rifle should beat anything new........both my Anschutz rifles are 45 years old & doing great! r in s

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
15 years ago I went up against a Ruger 10/22 with my $35 trick Rem 510.

The Ruger was just as good, and semi auto too.

I have bought a number of 10/22s since then.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bartsche, How's the shooting going? Don't want to hear any CRYBABY about your weather out there either. rotflmo

It is raining, here too. Had a buddy who was out in it tell me it also had a bit of Sleet and Snow tossed in - just for the fun of it. I didn't see any of that, but it is headed my way.

Did you get the scope fiasco figured out? Maybe a "Strain Gauge" got jammed in the Power Adjustment. animal
-----

Heard from my buddy in Califoney last night. He is about ready to try some shots with the Headspace Shimmed to see if that will make any difference. He is using one of the Lapua Rimfires and got 7 groups of 5-shots in the 6s-8s at 50yds. The CCI Standard Velocity Rimfires won't shoot quite that well(as if that is a surprise) and he wants to try messing with the Headspace for them.

Now that I know what mine is capable of at 25yds, I need to back the Targets on out a bit.
-----

By the way, Upgraded my 3-Ring Binders from my old black ones to new white ones. The white ones have "see-through pockets" on the Front, Spine and Rear. So, I took 8.5"x11" flicks of the firearms for the appropriate Binders and placed them in the pockets. Also got the appropriate firearms listed in the Spine Pocket.

Gotta go.