Notify
Tools

165g bullets for 300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted
Hello guys,
I would like to reload my 300 Win Mag with 165g bullets and use it to hunt diferent games from Roedeer to Deer to big Wildboar. From short to long range. An all ruond cartridge.
I know that there are no magic formulas to solve all problems. But I'm looking for a good compromise.
My idea is to load a 165g bullet why this is fast enough to shoot flat and not to light to blow up at short distance.
So, I have Nosler's Ballistic Tip and Sierra's Game King HPBT (2140) at home. The first are very accurate but blows up also loadet in 30'06, so I don't think is a good choise for 300... The second... Don't know! I never try this bullet on game!! Have anyone use this bullets??
A friend tell me abuot Barnes bullets, he say me this works very good at all range...
An other bullet that caught my interest is Swift Scirocco II... Do anyone have experience with this bullets??
Many thanks

Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The (# 2140) Sierra GK HPBT 165 is a hard bullet designed for magnum velocities. I have used it on many red stags and am quite pleased with it.

My load consists of N 160 / 73.5 (CCI 250 primers) and is very accurate out of my Blaser R93.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 2 of my .300 Win Mags with 168 grs Barnes TSX bullets. To me this is a good compromise in terms of speed, trajectory and penetration. The TSX has the advantage it is guaranteed to maintain structural integrity. Accuracy has ranged from very acceptable (Winchester M70 with custom barrel) to sensational (Blaser R93).

I have never shot this load on game as light as roe, so I can't offer any insight in this area. The bullet works well for heavier game.

When you increase muzzle and impact velocity, in general you'll have to live with more meat damage - although a lot depends on bullet and bullet placement.

I had no luck getting Scirocco bullets to shoot, but your mileage may vary. If that is the type of bullet you are looking for, I'd rather look at Nosler's AccuBond or Partition. Either should work in a .300.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 165gr Hornady Interbond is a great choice.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Faina,

Good advice from all above.

I'm a .308" 165 gr. Junkie. Tried 'em all and there aren't alot of bad choices out there - except as you've already mentioned - the NBT's. They are superbly accurate but tend to the fragile side when launched at 300 Win. Mag. velocities. I'll have to admit though IMO; their perfomance in the 30/06 Sprg. has been outstanding (Chamois, Red Deer & Wild Boar, too).

André's (and mine, too) favorite 165 gr. Sierra HPBT is an excellent all-around bullet IMO also.

The Horandy's; either Interbond or vanilla-flavored 165 gr. SPBT's are good perfomers, too.

The Combined Technology 168 gr. Ballistic Silvertips have also performed well.

BUT the best of the "Do-it-All" bullets in this cartridge and that weight is in our experience the 165 gr. Nosler Partitions or Swift Scirocco II's. Both are tough bullets with impressive accuracy potential.

Just plunck the Roe Deer a "tad" behind the shoulder - it's gotta go through the ribs. If not, any bullet outa this cartridge on Roe Deer will result in a pretty messed up carcass, they're small & fragile Deer.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've shot a few animals with a load of 73 gr of 4350 behind a 165 nosler partition. that always worked well, also i used to use a load of 150 gr nosler ballistic tip ahead of 74 gr of 4350 for long range prairie dogs. that was an explosive combo

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 300 Winchester Sendero loves 165gr Accubonds with 82.5gr of RL-25. Very accurate and thumps really hard.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience with the 300win and the 30-06 with 165gr bullets, I recommend Barnes TTSX, TSX, Swift A-frame, NP in that order. I have went to the TTSX for my 300 and 06. Great accuracy and retention. My .02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention in my previous post, I have used all the bullets I mentioned.

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your reply.
I'll begin to load my 300 Win with Sierra's HPBT, pushed by 79.0g Reloader 22...
Hope I can try this load on game in short time!!
Thanks again
Have a nice day

Faina

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for Barnes 168 gr TSX.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
The first step for me is to find a bullet (and load) that shoot accurate.
Then try this on diferent game and see the result.
To hunt here in the Alps I have other guns for diferent situations. My good 30'06 (150g Sierra Pro Hunter) for medium range and 7mm Rem Mag (140g Nosler Bal Tip) for long range.
But sometimes I can hunt in Germany with friends and there I have the possibility to hunt Roedeer or Wildboars at medium to long distance. This is the reason why I'm looking for a load that works well in most situations.

Faina

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Faina:
Thanks guys for your reply.
I'll begin to load my 300 Win with Sierra's HPBT, pushed by 79.0g Reloader 22...
Hope I can try this load on game in short time!!
Thanks again
Have a nice day

Faina

I hope you do not mean the Sierra MatchKing HPBT bullet. That's a target bullet and is wholly unusable on game. I do not know if there is a GameKing bullet in the same HPBT design. I'm just saying...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not know if there is a GameKing bullet in the same HPBT design. I'm just saying...

There is; and yes, alot written about the superb accuracy with the Match-grade bullets that some folks insist on using as a hunting bullet. Sierra states that they introduced the 165 gr. HPBT Game-King in an attempt to disaude Match bullet use in this weight & diameter on game.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
A groundhog taken with a Sierra 180 gr. Match King out of an Encore in 300 Winchester Magnum. Match bullets obviously don't expand and they're very iffy especially where light game is concerned. In addition, using a single shot Encore that no serious hunter would use indicates a serious lack of judgement.

Pronghorn Antelope taken with a 168 gr. Berger VLD at a range of about 292 yards. Gun; Blaser R 93 in 300 Weatherby Magnum. I took 3 other Pronghorns on that trip with the same load. I guess I was very lucky since nothing got away that I hit despite my using match bullets and a gun Saeed hates.

Groundhog taken with a 168 gr. Barnes TSX out of an Encore in 30/06. Barnes bullets will hardly expand at all at 30/06 velocities and only with the best of luck will kill anything especially light skinned game.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Please consider the 165 Woodleigh PPSN. It has a bonded core and striations inside the nose to assist with expansion.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
When I was writing of Sierra's HPBT I mean Game King... as I wrote at the beginning.
Match King are nice bullets but NOT for hunting!!