New
Find
Notify
Tools

.20 Caliber shooters . . .
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When you resize your brass without the expander ball in place, what is the O.D. of your neck? I have a Hornady FL die which seems to make them considerably smaller than necessary.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 204 Ruger brass (Winchester) comes out @ .217" using RCBS dies.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, .217 is about where mine comes out. This seems pretty tight since the diameter after passing over the expander ball is about .223" with brass thinned appropriately for my tight-necked chamber (.20 Vartarg). An unexpanded diameter of about .220" would seem to be plenty tight and would work the brass less.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stone,

How tight is the chamber neck, on this new 20VT of yours?

A pic wouldn't hurt, either. Smiler

Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kevin, the necks of the fired brass come out of the gun around .230". I'm thinning the necks so that the loaded round is about .002" smaller.

.217" seems like it is mashing the brass somewhat smaller than needed, then expanding it back to the proper I.D. But maybe .217" is about what all of the die makers use.

To avoid overworking my case necks I've jerry-rigged a Lee Collet die using .204 Ruger parts. I can only size the upper one-half of the shorter .20 VT necks, but this seems sufficient to provide enough bullet tension for the very low-moment bullets of a .20 cal. No lube to mess with, either.

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
It is a little easier for me as I use Wilson neck die with a .226 and 228 bushes. Have a .228 loaded neck dia and a fired neck dia of .230 from a .232 chamber neck.
I have necked 221 brass and reformed 222 and 223 brass. I had my Hornady die opened up in the neck to overcome the same problem you have. Opened to .226 should be fine

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had thought about opening the neck of my die up -- but I couldn't find a drill bit in my set which was quite the right diameter homer

Seriously, who can you find that can do such precision work on such a very hard metal, and is it affordable? I wouldn't think that most machine shops would accept such a small order, or at least that their minimum would be way more than ordering a custom die.