New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal High energy????
 Login/Join

<hunting1>
posted
How does Federal get such high velocities on there high energy ammo. I was looking at 30-06 and none of my reloads are 3000fps with 165gr? Just wondering and thanks for your inputs. Good shooting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The published velocities for the various "high energy" loadings are subject to the same caveats as published velocity for standard factory loads -- that is, they are a bit optimistic, especially in barrels shorter than 26 inches.

High energy loads usually use a compressed charge of slower-than-usual powder, loaded to the upper range of SAAMI pressure limits. Compressed charges of slow powder are typically quite consistent, so it's easier to get their average pressure closer to maximum without having individual rounds violate a pre-determined limit, therefore, higher average velocity.

The real-world velocity of "high energy" loads is very good, but is actually very similar to what you could achieve given access to sophisticated pressure measuring equipment.

The factories don't have "gasoline with 'Techroline'" in it or anything like that, they just have a lot of resources to develop loads. The premium price of the "high energy" loads more than offsets the cost of engineering them.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot some .338 Magnum HE rounds with 250-grain NOS bullets at the range, and it was 2,776 fps on a cool day (45 to 55 degrees F). I ended-up killing a moose with a round of the same kind in September. This ammo is advertised at 2,800 fps, and I imagine it would get there on a warmer day (?).

Another time, I also shot three HE with 225-grain TBBC bullets, and these were just about the advertised velocity. I don't think I can ever reach the same accuracy and velocity with my handloads.

[This message has been edited by Ray, Alaska (edited 12-14-2001).]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried the High Energy loads in two of my rifles (180-gr. Partition in .30-06) and got good accuracy in one but pressure signs (sticky bolt, very flat primer) in both. I think they're simply loaded right on the edge of maximum and the warm weather that day pushed them over the top.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
Its my understanding that the military has done much research with the powder companys to develop new powders for their mil spec ammo and thats the powders that are used in these loadings. These powders are not available to the public for reloading and thats why we cant get the same velocity with our reloads. In the past it wasnt hard to match what the factories sold because they basicly used them same components as sold to reloaders. The velocity hype has always been there even with the standard loadings.
Multi Vis

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
In a recent shooting magazine a guy was testing factory ammo in 7 stw's. He was using winchester factory 150's in 3 guns and was getting pretty impressive velocity out of all 3 guns. The weird thing is that in one gun those factory rounds actually blew out primers and in the other two guns there wasn't even a sign of pressure. I think all guns were running over 3400 fps and they were all running within 50 fps with the same shells. Iguess it's just one of those "strange" deals that can come up. Had to be attibuted to excess chamber space or something??????

<OKShooter>
posted
Both the Federal High Energy and the Hornady Light Magnum ammunition uses a form of ball powder that is both very slow burning and very highly compressible.

In his October 1997 Shooting Times article, "Everything You Need to Know About .30-06 Factory Ammo & More," Rick Jamison published some data on virtually every brand and type of '06 factory ammo available at the time. He published measuring a velocity of 2824 fps at a pressure level of 59,200 psi (M43) with the High Energy 180 gr. Nosler Partition.

My own measurements showed 2762 fps @ 56,500 psi (M43) out of my M700 (22" barrel) and 2811 fps @ 52,700 psi out of my M70 (24" barrel).

Factory specs call for 2880 fps.

The Hornady 150 gr. SP Light Magnum ammo produced 2961 fps @ 53,700 psi in the M700 and 2954 fps @ 49,500 psi in the M70.

Rick Jamison recorded 2950 fps @ 53,500 psi.

Factory specs call for 3100 fps.

The Hornady 180 gr. BTSP High Energy ammo produced 2809 fps @ 54,300 psi in my M700 and 2860 fps @ 56,200 psi in BFoster's Browning FN. Rick Jamison recorded 2756 fps @ 54,600 psi.

This, of course, is limited to '06 ammo and only a couple of lots. Still, I am a little puzzled at reports of indications of excessive pressure. Typically the classical signs of excessive pressure happens at around 10,000 psi over the 60,000 psi max of the '06, and warm weather is not likely to heat the ammo enough to make a significant difference unless, perhaps, it were left directly in the sun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have chronographed some of the HE Hornadys and some of the Federals and I have been pretty impressed...They chronographed near or at reported velocities and cases revealed no signs of pressure. If one is blowing primers or gettin excess pressure, I would strongly suggest that one have the headspace checked..Also perhaps a very tight chamber could be the culprit but I doubt that.

BTW it is not unusual for two rifles to chronograph as much as a hundred feet per second apart with any load, lots of factors involved in this scenario and each gun has to be tested and evaluated on its own merits with any ammo.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote