New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dangerous experiences...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have had one recently that may benefit someone...
I shoot a r/h action 700 from the left shoulder, hence when I fired a round with a damaged (difficult to seat) primer and it blew the "exhaust hole" meant debris is directed to face.
Similarly shooting a r/h s/a shotgun from the left shoulder on a windy day will make your eyes smart.
Shooting 22lr rounds from a 22wmr without a wmr chamber sleeve is not recommended.

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Good to see you're still around to tell us about it!! We're anxiously awaiting your next report.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Hell, you think those are dangerous experiences...you should have know my two ex-wives!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I add a muzzle break on a .338RUM,the thing get unscewed itself,I felt the recoil harder than usual,get cut a little on the upper lip;I will never forget it.I made sure that thing is always srewed properly. [Big Grin] [Confused]

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm lefthanded and just had a Ruger 10/22, .22Magnum, pepper my face severely (got blood) from a cartridge rim giving way. Not the best part of a day shooting prairie dogs. [Frown]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To screw on a muzzlebreak tightly, shoot you rifle until the barrel is hot, and then tighten it up. that usually locks them on pretty tight.

Dumbest thing I ever done was years ago when just starting to shoot black powder. I had a Walker Colt, and thought it may be a good idea to take hold of the cylinder to steady the beast.
Didn't know a hell of a lot about pistols back then, either. I had powder blasted into my hand, and it took about a month to get it all dug out.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my .222Rem. and my .222Rem Mag. to the range one day. Took out the .222Mag. first and grabbed a box of standard .222Rem. reloads, loaded it up and let one fly. Boy oh boy, talk about a rank amateur mistake. That was one indeed. Mind you, I've only been doing this for 40 years or so, so I'm still learning. The empty case was one sad looking .222Rem., but aside from being a bit deformed, it held together nicely. Didn't hurt the rifle either. I tend to be a little more alert now. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
prof242:
When you go out shooting prairie dogs and you shoot a bunch of them, how long do you have to wait for their numbers to regenerate so you can shoot them again? I dream of a place where the dogs just keep popping up and I keep knocking them down, but where I live this does not happen. So I'm moving to Utah or Arizona just to have a place to shoot at all.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around five years ago, my younger sister decided she wanted to own a piece of heat. We went to a gun show and selected a Taurus Model 85 for her (2" barrel, 5 rounds, .38Spl). I took her out to where we shoot in the woods and proceeded to school her in safe handling of her first gun. She has shot some of my stuff (shoulder guns and auto pistols) in the past, but never my revolvers. She developed this habit of automatically cocking for the next round. We finished a cylinder, then hunkered down to eject the brass and reload when the last one fired into the dirt right at my feet. Her "habit" had come just inches from shooting me in the leg or foot (or worse). I didn't get exercised; I just told her in a quiet, sane voice that a single second of irresponsibility, inattention or carelessnes with a gun can lead to a lifetime of remorse and sadness. Since then, she has learned to "shoot the sixth round" before lowering the gun from the firing position.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer,

Don't know that gun, but assuming that it is double action, teach that sis double action and you will be doing you both a favor. Alot safer, maybe even more accurate since it will be a steadier trigger squeaze w/no yanking of the trigger. In a defense situation, she better be squeazing that trigger as fast as she can with as many hits as possible.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been a handloader and shooter for some 30 odd year's and believe me when I say dumb mistakes can happen to anyone. I have allway's felt that I'm an extremely safe reloader and shooter. But last summer while at our range shooting I took several rifles and handguns for a good day of shooting with a couple of my hunting and shooting buddies. I decided to shoot my Ruger 308 Win first and set my box of 308 loads on the shooting bench but picked up my Ruger 270 Win that was setting next to my 308. I loaded a 308 round and fired the rifle when smoke curled out of the action I knew what I had done, and preceded to ruin a good pair of fruit of the looms. The amasing thing about this is the rifle held together and in fact the shot was just a little low and right on the target. I sent the rifle to Ruger for a full inspection and found that the rifle was not hirt and only suffered excessive copper fouling. I guess that Bill Ruger and God was looking after me that day. All it takes is one little distraction and you can get into trouble.
So check and double check, shoot safe and load safe. I learned a good lesson that day...Anyone no matter how safe can make a serious mistake.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This video of a police woman's accidental discharge cracks me up:
http://www.ops-se.com/Videos/Negligence.mpg

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<JTD>
posted
One mistake my brother made was to load some of his .45 Colts with my .44 mag brass. We share a reloading bench and most of the time everything is kept orderly, but mistakes happen. He didn't even realize he had done it until he went to resize the brass and noticed the 4.4 cases coming out of a box of .45s he just shot. There really wasn't anything different except the .44 brass was a little bigger now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank God for Oakley glasses....I was shooting a buddies .40sw from a Taurus auto and would have lost both eyes. There was a large box of loose .40s we were loading the magazines out of and everything was going good until a 9mm slipped in. I was "lucky" enough that the rim held the 9mm tight enough for the firing pin to still set it off. Well when a 9mm tries to stretch out to .40 there is not enough brass to hold it together. Shrapnel came back and hit me in the face. I still have the glasses with a chunk of the case stuck in the lens over my right eye and a spray of smaller brass residue over the left eye...

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was invited by a neighbor to go
hog hunting at his deer lease after season. I had never hunted with this fellow before and didn't know him very well but it sounded like fun so I
went with him and his hunting buddy. The drive to the hunting lease was about two hours and so they
stopped at the last town on the way and purchased
some beer. I don't ever drink when guns are in the picture so I declined the offers and right then and there I wanted to go back home but I stayed on. By the time we got to the ranch both
men were getting into their fourth beer. Five minutes into the ranch we spotted about 12 feral
hogs on the far side of a wheat field and my neighbor jumps out of the truck with his loaded
22-250 700 rem ADL and starts running after the pigs. He gets within about 400 yards and his rifle
discharges into the ground. Pigs run off and neighbor returns swearing the gun went off by itself. Apparently a slam fire due to a 12 ounce
trigger pull. At this point I reflected on the
severe dangers of hair triggered weapons in the hands of alcohol impaired hunters and that I would
drive us back home with the guns put away and empty. They reluctantly agreed and drank all the way home. Moral to the story: "Know the people you
hunt or shoot with before you go"! I don't have
anything against an occasional drink but not when
I'm hunting, shooting or reloading. Sorry but these kinds of hunters will give us all a bad image that we don't need. BLR7 [Cool]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote