Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCi 250 magnum primers
 Login/Join

posted
I have a brick (5000) of cci lr mag primers. I would like to know if I could use these to reload 44 mag pistol? I don't shoot 300 win 300 weatherby or 375 H&H much anymore and would like to make use of them. I'm in Hawaii and few people to trade with and fewer people use them here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Large pistol primers measure .120" in depth and large rifle primers measure .126" in depth, so if you do use them you will have to ream the primer pockets deeper to keep from having protruding primers. As far as pressure issues I am not sure as the only time I have substituted primers was in 40S&W when I tried Winchester small rifle primers (which have the same cup depth as pistol primers) and other than slightly more recoil worked fine. I don't think I would try them. There seems too much risk for savings of not so large sum of money as well as a lot more loss; i.e hands, eyes, your firearm, and though doubtful but possibly your life.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I guess a brick of 5000 is going to last you a while shooting in a 44 Mag pistol, and I understand reloading stuff is pretty difficult to get at the moment so your idea is worth considering. Tests have shown that the brisiance of some magnum primers is no better than some standard primers so it is a matter of trial to see which primers produce what in different firearms anyway. As with any change in primers you should drop back your normal powder charge and work back up.
I do not know if rifle primers have any more brisiance than the equivalent sized pistol primer but the latter is normally slightly softer in the cup material to compensate for lighter firing pin blows.

Protruding primers may or may not be an issue in your pistol. If the cylinder is able to turn and correctly time without binding and the firing pin blow is heavy enough then this will not be a problem.
The real big problem with protruding primers in the 44 Mag round is if these rounds ever found their way into a Ruger semi-auto carbine. High primers can cause the Ruger carbine to fire before the block is properly into battery which will be a disaster for the rifle and the shooter.

I would not recommend using the CCI LR Mag primers but sometimes we just have to adapt to circumstances using care and common sense.

Posts: 3908 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rrob692326:
I have a brick (5000) of cci lr mag primers. I would like to know if I could use these to reload 44 mag pistol? I don't shoot 300 win 300 weatherby or 375 H&H much anymore and would like to make use of them. I'm in Hawaii and few people to trade with and fewer people use them here.

My good man, I've actually done stuff like that. Two things:

1. With H110/Win. 296, I had to reduce the load by 1.5 grains.

2. CCI primers are harder than others and some handguns won't reliably touch them off but I had no problem like that with my Ruger Redhawk.

You don't have to ream primer pockets or worry about the minimal dimensional differences between pistol and rifle primers; just seat them firmly.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess a brick of 5000 is going to last you a while shooting in a 44 Mag pistol

Hopefully this mess will be over in a year or so.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded CCI 250 in 44 mag. Seated primers with a single stage press. I got flush primers in the WW brass (white box), the only brass I have tried to reload in 44.

Posts: 30 | Location: north platte, nebraska | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote