New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Uses the LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most, I have one in every caliber that I reload for. If they make it that is. Right now I'm waiting for them to bring one out in .500 S&W Mag. billt

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I talked with several guys last night after an “old guys†arms collectors meeting about crimping loads. All of these guys have reloaded for many years, and they all said they used Lee Factory Crimp dies for most loads instead of the one provided in the sets. There was even some discussion about bullets with and with-out cannalures making no difference.

A few said they use them on every load that Lee makes one for. A couple said they could not tell a difference on groups with some cartridges, but on the ones where it made a difference, it made a dramatic difference.

Looks like I’m going to go out and buy some Lee Factory Crimp dies. This IS a never ending journey...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee will make any custom round up to the 404 Jeffery case size. Just send them a couple of rounds of brass and bullets and voila!
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
The necks on my 358 Norma hold Nosler,Barnes and Sierras just fine but Swifts seem too be a little slippery and a crimp would be a good idea. Lee doesn't list the Norma does anyone have any suggestions? Jim

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
The necks on my 358 Norma hold Nosler,Barnes and Sierras just fine but Swifts seem too be a little slippery and a crimp would be a good idea. Lee doesn't list the Norma does anyone have any suggestions? Jim

Call lee, They have great Customer Service!!
if they have to custom build one for your cartridge it is still only $20.00 or so!!

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by turkeyhunter:
they are extremely easy to use and case length has no bearing on their use.

Maybe, and RSY said they just "tighten" the neck, but when I pull some .223's I've done, there is a "forced" cannellure made into the bullet at the end of the neck. So maybe one would get a different "pressure" if cases wern't the same length, and if the necks were of different thicknesses.
I don't think accuracy has improved with my .223
so I'm about to give it a miss from now on.
(Too many dies, on too many presses already.)
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of b.martins
posted Hide Post
Yes, I use them on all calibres! The ones not on LEE’s list I had them made by sending LEE a dummy round of each calibre.
Cannelure or no cannelure I always get tighter groups if I crimp.

B.Martins

What every gun needs, apart from calibre, is a good shot and hunter behind it. - José Pardal

Posts: 538 | Location: Lisboa,Portugal | Registered: 16 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed has examined this question and has published his results here:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/crimping.html

I recommend that all of you read it. Briefly stated, his tests show a small but significant increase in accuracy when using the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

One of the virtues of the Lee Factory Crimp Dies are that they can be used on any bullet, whether or not it has a cannelure, and whether or not the bullet is seated so that the case mouth occurs at the cannelure.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use on heavy kickers--416 Rem and 35 Whelen--to keep the bullet from moving due to recoil in repeater rifles.

Never use it on varmint or deer cartridges that have plenty of neck tension.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
I use one when loading cast bullets in my 30-40, it's made a noticable improvement. ( it's that neck grip thing ). I haven't tried one on any of my other guns, the 30-40 is my only "heavy" recoiling rifle.

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote