New
Find
Notify
Tools

I LOVE HORNADY BRASS!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was real impressed with the weight consistancy and runnout I got from some 30-06 hornady brass a year or so back.
Then I found a distributor with HORNADY 300 WEATHERBY BRASS. (Sounds unusual but true) Tonight a friend called and announced he had won a 300 wby and asked if I'd load him a little sample of some bullets. I opened up the box of these Hornady's and started to look them over. The case mouths were almost round enough to load but needed a little straightening and some chamfering. I Plunged them onto the expander ball of a Hornady .308 neck die (didn't go further than the expander ball) and proceeded to check for runnout. MOst everything hovered at approx .001" runnout---WOW. A few were up around .003" but I found very small dings in the case body that caused the flucuation of the runnout gauge. The loaded ammo came out great with virtually every bullet under .003" and probably 1/2 of the ammo between .001" and .002".
I can hardly wait to check them after being once fired and being run through my forester dies.

This stuff is awesome--I don't know who makes it for them or how they specify the super tolerances but WOW--they are virtual "match grade" brass in my book. Maybe I got lucky 2x's but would tell you to give them a try and see for yourself.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've found Hornady Brass to be very high quality. I only wish they keep on increasing the selection.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wandered into the Hornady plant in Grand Island a few years back when I was working in Nebraska, and if I recollect correctly, they make their own brass, at least they had the machinery for it there and were doing some at the time. I don't know if that applies to all calibers or not, but they certainly make some of their own stuff. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:
I don't know if that applies to all calibers or not, but they certainly make some of their own stuff. - Dan

The majority of Hornady cases are bought on the world market (Prvi Partizan, Hirtenberger, FNM, various sources). A few they actually make themselves.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like hornady compoanants,very high quality at a good price.

Posts: 28 | Location: phoenix az | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use their 7mm rem mag cases, they are very high quality.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I'm almost positive that Olin is Hornady's main supplier of brass.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At one time Federal made Hornady brass or visa versa....

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote