Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS X Dies For A Beginner?
 Login/Join

<Crusader>
posted
Hi Folks:

I am new to handloading, and am wondering what dies to buy. I've done a fair amount of research, and I guess am somewhat overwhelmed by the choices available (basic, competition, etc.). I could take the "start out simple" approach and just get basic dies, then upgrade later. However, I don't want to buy something that I will definitely not want to be using in 6 months or whatever. With that being said, it seems like the RCBS X dies might be a good choice, eliminating the need for frequent case trimming (right?), and be an upgrade that I could do right off the bat. What do you guys think about those dies, or would you recommend something else?

Thanks for your help...

<bigcountry>
posted
They work. Plain and simple. Starting off, however I would stick with the regular dies and trimming and deburring. Reason I say this, is you might miss something. In other words, lets say you start off with the X dies and your gun shoots ok, and you think thats just the way it is. But if you start off trimming exactly, and get good results and then upgrade to X just to try and get bad results, you have a baseline. Reloading for accuracy can be frustrating starting out. Learn the basics before trying to reload 1000 yard benchrest cartriges or taking shortcuts. I know you know that. Trimming is one of my most hated tasks. I understand.

one of us
posted Hide Post
you need to trim the round to start with and get everything even, then use the X dies...and yes that is the way to go...

Posts: 41998 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote