New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand primer not seating completely
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got an RCBS hand priming tool that will not completely seat primers on any round that uses a #3 (or equivalent) shell holder (about 60 percent of the calibers I load for use a #3). Apparently, there's too much play in the holder that lets the cartridge rise beyond the range of the primer plunger.

Every time use it, I have to put the primed cases in the press and finish the seating process (Might as well have seated them in the press to begin with).

Anybody else have this problem? Can it be fixed?

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just call RCBS customer service number. They have fixed everything I have asked about for the last 35 years.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had similar problem. I put a lead shot pellet into hand primer below the pushrod and it fixed, then decided to reallyfix it.

Get another #3 shell holder and try that, get a new plastic insert for the hand primer, or use a spacer.

the problem with mine was the black plastic insert was worn and allowed lift off.

PIA for sure!!!

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just call RCBS customer service number. They have fixed everything I have asked about for the last 35 years.

There is an explaination on RCBS site under manuals. Call RCBS.
the problem is cause by shell holder. get a new shell holder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an explaination on RCBS site under manuals. Call RCBS.
the problem is cause by shell holder. get a new shell holder.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I went to the RCBS site and found it under FAQs. Seems some older shell holders of several different manufacturers, including theirs, had this problem.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote