Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Fail Safes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
good riddance.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What happened? I know W/W went, or is going, belly up, but not the ammo end of the company....is there more news regarging Winchester?

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old news... Winchester (Olin) is replacing the Fail Safe with its next design iteration called the XP3. Personally I lament the passing of the Fail Safe.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't really mind the passing of the Failsafes, although they shot exceptional in my 7 Mag, but I'll miss the CT Partition Golds. I really like those, tough, good expansion, no silly plastic points and for a reasonable price.

Woody

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Fail Safe was the best premium bullet I have used, very dependable and accurate in all of my rifles. The XP3 is a lower cost alternative that I seriously doubt will be it's equal. The new MRX from Barnes will be the one to try if you liked the Fail safe.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John S, is the XP3 actually cheaper? I hadn't really looked, the fail-safes were pretty high, but like some others they shot really well in my rifles, but I never used them on game much, due to bad feedback and a couple of 'pencil through' experiences. I was thinking the XP3 might be a good new pill to play around with--especially if it is priced more like a ballistic tip or such!

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The articles I've read say the XP3 is cheaper to manufacture. Whether or not that translates into a cheaper price to the consumer is something else! I doubt it will be priced like a Ballistic Tip, my guess is more like an TSX or the new MRX, which it resembles to a degree.
Some of the early Fail Safes wouldn't open reliably but the later versions always worked well for me. I've used them in several calibers and always had great results.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll mourn the loss of Failsafes. I had 2 rifles that shot them very well. They were devastatingly effective on the 2 hogs I shot with them. I hope my stash lasts a little while...........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The XP3 lacks the the dual steel cup ($$$) in the rear cavity that set the Fail Safe apart (along with other features)from the original Black Talon. The Black Talon's had the precarious nature of the rear lead core rupturing through the front of the bullet. The steel cup supporting the rear core prevented this in the Fail Safe. Now Winchester took the steel cup out and bonded the rear core to the jacket. Every press release I've seen shows the same exaggerated rear core bulge. Amazingly enough Winchester is touting this as desirable as "secondary expansion." I'll use the TSX in its place. Or just use partitions.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the steel cup to prevent a rear core rupture I can see as a good thing, but I don't know why anyone cared about the rear core expanding anyway...

That wider rear core might prevent the expanded nost from folding back too far, but provided it stays together why does it matter?

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I cant see any real difference in a fail safe, barnes X or TSX or MRX, or the new XP3 for that matter. All have the exact same front end (expanding portion). They will either open up and pencil through, or break off all their pedals and then pencil through. I seriously doubt the rear portion of the XP3 bulging will do anything (positive or negative) to the bullets performance. Heck that what Swift A-Frames do.

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woody7:
I didn't really mind the passing of the Failsafes, although they shot exceptional in my 7 Mag, but I'll miss the CT Partition Golds. I really like those, tough, good expansion, no silly plastic points and for a reasonable price.

Woody

Are the Partition Golds really going bye-bye?

If so, I better stock up now while I can.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote