THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

175gr Matchkings or 180gr VLD's for my 7mm?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to put together a long distance(500-1000yd) shooter based on the 7mm Rem Mag. I know there are other rounds out there more capable of long range accuracy, but I have tons of brass and reloading stuff for it, so the Rem mag it is. Would you shoot the VLD or the MK? The VLD does have a higher BC than the MK, I was leaning towards the VLD unless you guys told me otherwise. I am not concerned with fitting a mag box. personal experience would be nice. I guess knowing what twist barrel you had on yer rig might help too. I dunno, I dont have a donor rifle yet, so maybe you could talk me into another caliber... Maybe.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to shoot either 175 MK or 180 gr. VLD's use at least a 1 in 8.5 twist. Some 1 in 9 twists will shoot those bullets and some won't. You might want to look at the standard 284 Win. as an alternative to the 7 Mag. Throated long for the bullets you are wanting to shoot. There are several long range shooters having some real success with that chambering. I am having one built for 1K work in F Class competition. I have shot a 6.5 X 284 in the past and the barrel life is pretty short. The down range performance of the standard 284 with the 175 and 180's will hang right with the 6.5 X 284. The barrel life of the 284 will be better than 7 Mag. as well. Velocities from a long barrel will surprise you from the 284. The accuracy node seems to be in 2850 to 2900 fps range depending on the barrel. Just an option you might want to think about. Excellent 6.5 X 284 brass is available from Lapua and Norma just a one step neck up with a tappered expander ball. H4350 powder seems to be the powder of choice. Hope this helps some.

PaPa 260.....May I Be Half The Man My Grandsons Think I Am

Posts: 109 | Location: Extreme Southwest Indiana | Registered: 14 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, it is duly noted. I guess the only real reason why I was going with the 7 mag is I have the reloading equipment, which is one of the cheaper parts of setting up a rifle.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote