New
Find
Notify
Tools

reducing a compressed load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This weekend I was working up some loads for my new 375H&H and I have a question. The best load (accuracy wise) was 72grns of h4350 below a hornady 300 btsp with CCI250. According to the listed loads I can go as high as a 81.5 an this is compressed. I dont have a crono, but the recoil and primers looked and felt the same as the federal safari factorys I had with me. Is there problem with not compressing this load, or am I ok here?

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem idahoelk101. They are just telling you that if you put that max charge of powder in the case, the powder charge will be "compressed" when you seat the bullet, not that you must "compress" it for it to work....

Some people do not like compressed loads, as, among other things, they may push the bullet back out of the case over time. Also can't shake them to see if you missed a charge [Wink] .

(Edited to add) Probably not a good idea to reduce the charge below the recommended "starting" load.

Good luck on your Elk!,

Bill

[ 09-10-2003, 18:34: Message edited by: Bill M ]

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only reference (lee book) for this load shows a starting load at 70grns so I think I am ok. We'll have to see how far down the moutain they go after getting tagged with this bullet

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by idahoelk101:
We'll have to see how far down the moutain they go after getting tagged with this bullet

I'd bet that depends on how steep the mountain is [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] - hit them in the right spot and they shouldn't "run" far!

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rule here ONLY shoot uphill. That way they roll down to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a 375 H&H 300 grain for elk; I wouldn't be too concerned about velocity as long as a loooong shot wasn't a high possibility. If You hit him right you'll kill him.

[ 09-11-2003, 07:19: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the panhandle of ID, Long shot?, Oh you mean one of those 85 yarders.