Find
Notify
Tools

7mm, 175gn?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What do you consider to be the softest 175gn bullet in 7mm? thanks, capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds. Get closer!

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over all Sierra Game King if you are talking lead core hunting bullets (not hollow points). It's a boat tail. For round tip flat base the original Hornady. For lead core Hollow points that some are starting to hunt with the Berger VLD Hunting. (don't know if the Berger is available in 175 it is in 168 and 180.) These are what I consider softest as in will expand or shed the most. We are talking 175gr 7mm bullets so all will be pretty tough as they are at the upper weight for caliber.

Posts: 146 | Location: WI | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the 170 gr. Sierra round nose. Problem is finding any as Sierra dropped them quite a while back and has no plans of bringing them back. They're exptememly accurate in my rifle and I'm as frugal as can be when it comes to shooting them. I only shoot enough to insure he rifle is still sighted in and use them on game only Sierra did say they might make a run if there was enough demand. I tols them to put me at the top of the list.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find them Hornaday makes a 174 grain round nose and they really talk when hitting a deer.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Based on my experience with larger calibers the Hawk Bullets are pretty darn soft. The make a 7mm with a thin jacket for expansion at 2300fps and less.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

May be one of the softest 175 grs 7mm bullets could be the...Nosler Partition!
Yes, its front part is really soft, expanding at very low velocity. But keeps penetrating and usually exits.

PH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
May be one of the softest 175 grs 7mm bullets could be the...Nosler Partition!

Maybe the new one's, but not the old one's. Unless you were shooting them at top velocities, they didn't expand worth a darn.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&B 173 grain.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote