New
Find
Notify
Tools

Everybody stocking up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With costs skyrocketing in brass, etc., is everyone tucking supplies? I've so far just kept a jar or two of powder, and a few hundred bullets, same on brass. I've decided to store up. I'm up around 10,000 rounds of 22LR for the plinkers in the family. I'm going for triple that. I'd like to double up on my .224 bullets, to around 5000. I occasionaly use the .270 and .243 I have, but I'm stopping those stores around 2000 each. I don't know if there's a legal limit on powders, unaware of shelf life issues as well. Any suggestions on that, and from a safety standpoint?

Posts: 15922 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the powder makers web site. There was a section on IMR/Hogden/Winchester's web site. It even at one time included a description of a storage box. I do not know if that info is still there.

My feeble memory says 20 pounds without the box. I got interested when the cops busted a guy in Baltimore.

Arniet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you store the 22 ammo for too many years
the lead will oxidize and will be too large to feed.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure the shelves you put them on can hold all the weight. I speak from experiance....

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found some info about powder storage and stockpiling at accurate. you might want to read this. It also includes how to see if powder is still in good shape after the passage of time.

http://www.accuratearms.com/Safety.htm

I learned that I need to build a 1" plywood storage faciltiy if I have over 20# of powder in my residence.....

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. The 22s would cycle thru, oldest shot up first. I had a 20 lb mindset about the powder. At my age, if it shut off tomorrow that would probably do me.

Posts: 15922 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"...is everyone tucking supplies?"

No. Buying gas instead.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've not found the copper clad 22's to oxidize.

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
NO

I have been stocked up for years now.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Wymply...

you are talking like a neo con...

what's up with that???

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
Everybody stocking up?

I can't answer for everybody, but I am.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A possibly better reason than not !. I know political in the forum !.

Yet this may very well effect EACH AND EVERYONE OF US !. Somewhere down the road !.

I'm sure glad I volunteered in V N !. Frowner

So as to protect our freedom and way of life ???. Eeker

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_2051-21...0219_introduced.html

I believe this bill will have the same effect as Assault weapons ban did HORDING !.

I especially liked the # 50 rounds per month ! , coupled with a $ 3.00 tax on every box , now throw in your permit ammo fee and paper work !.

It just doesn't get much better than that !.

I can see it now " Black market Ammo coupled with Gang bangers heroin shipments !.

It just keeps getting better all the time !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target. ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If everyone stocks up won't that really skyrocket the price of everything?

sjadventures@cableone.net

One of Us
posted Hide Post
its all going to be useless without primers.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Glad I bought tens of thousands of primers then.

Fed 215s and 210s. I am first on a list from 2 distributors who ship to 3 local stores for the next Fed 215s to come through. These are either standard or match grade, but I prefer the match.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I need to start stocking up a bit. I only have 90,000 or so primers, 100+ lbs of powder and not near enough bullets. It's beginning to make me nervous with the elections coming up........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to start stocking up a bit. I only have 90,000 or so primers, 100+ lbs of powder and not near enough bullets. It's beginning to make me nervous with the elections coming up........................DJ

THAT ALL YOU HAVE......

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
If you have a large stock of powder and /or primers or plan on doing so you should contact your local fire department for the regulations on its storage. The rules for storage of powder and primers is different from state to state and sometimes from city to city. The only way to protect yourself from prosecution (should you have an incident or be discovered) is to abide by the letter of the law as a minimum. I do store quantities of both powder (25+ lbs) and primers. I have an approved magazine for double the amount of powder and primers that I could possibly have on hand. The two components are separated by a fire block of 2 hours and by a distance of more than enough to more than satisfy the codes in my area.
I know that prosecution is not important to some but do you know that if you don't store it according to code and your house burns down your insurance company can deny your claim? Now you have a mortgage and no home. Better to be safe than sorry.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
starmetal, Just last week I was trying to
shoot a ground hog with a copper clad HP from
the bottom of my sock drawer. It was adx oxidized as any lead bullet.
Good luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:
If you have a large stock of powder and /or primers or plan on doing so you should contact your local fire department for the regulations on its storage. The rules for storage of powder and primers is different from state to state and sometimes from city to city. The only way to protect yourself from prosecution (should you have an incident or be discovered) is to abide by the letter of the law as a minimum. I do store quantities of both powder (25+ lbs) and primers. I have an approved magazine for double the amount of powder and primers that I could possibly have on hand. The two components are separated by a fire block of 2 hours and by a distance of more than enough to more than satisfy the codes in my area.
I know that prosecution is not important to some but do you know that if you don't store it according to code and your house burns down your insurance company can deny your claim? Now you have a mortgage and no home. Better to be safe than sorry.

I think 30% of the homes in the US have no mortgage, but given the number of hand loaders who can develop their own load on this forum, I think the ratio might be higher here.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percent_of_us_homes_have_no_mortgage

I was in a gun shop when a fire chief [there are allot of chiefs] came in and announced that there was way too much powder on those shelves.
He did not seem to be demanding any fast remedy. He left. There is still the same amount of powder there. I asked the proprietor about it. He says that over the decades, he has been forced to move some of the powder into the back room temporarily to get new fire chiefs off his back. He also got a fire extinguisher.

The same guy has been through hell with the BATF when they spent over $1M in 1980 dollars to entrap him over their own untaxed suppressor. The jury was only out 5 minutes, but the BATF built up an inch thick transcript from tapping his phone.

What does it all mean?
There are loosely enforced regulations, and then there are felonies that are given Draconian enforcement.

What does THAT mean?
You can't live in fear of everything.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have tons o' powder and do not have it in some cabinet approved by the glitteratti in Washington, can you not just put so much of it here and there and somewhere else in your house, keeping it separated and thus assumably less likely to ignite in a chain reaction if one of them should happen to go nuclear?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I started stocking up 5 or 6 years ago. I keep the powder and primers in a temp and humidity controled enviroment.
Been buying 30 caliber for the past 2 years, as I find good buys.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep, living in the upper interior of Alaska is tough for either shipping and or buying locally at the one and only store. No local brass in great quantities either(in Fbks.) cause me to order out of state. Of late I could not hoard in any more GM 210' or 215's but have 5-6 thousand rounds and 1500 of 210's and 215's. Lots of brass. Now just gathering up powder for particular calibers that I have strong preference for ie.....30-30AI, .30-06, .338-06, .338 win mag and the 9.3x62

RL15 for the .30-30AI,.338-06 and the 9.3
IMR4350/RL22 ....30-06, .338 win mag

lots of 44 mag and .45LC and 10mm gear as well.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote