New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!!!!! - Reloading problem ......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went to load some 6mmbr and got to the last step and started having problems. The bullets im using, 85gr HPBT Sierra, just slide right into the case. No problem right? The seater will grip the sides and hold the bullet right? WRONG!!! Ive got my redding standard 6mmbr dies screwed all the way down which should be practically crimping, but nothing, the bullet still slides in and out. Whats going on here? The brass is lapua, this will be the 4 loading, not neck turned. The brass cant be shot already can it? Im at a loss here. Thanks for anyone that can help.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,
Brass is work hardened when it is work hardened, and not a momemt before or after. Try annealing just a couple cases - neck, shoulder, and barely onto the body. Then try resizing them in your present dies. If that doesn't do the trick get a set of bushing dies.
Did you neck turn this brass?
Mike your bullets, especially if they are from a new box. Wouldn't be the first time.
If your rifle has a loose throat the brass can get overworked in just a few reload and shoot cycles.
Good luck.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How hot are you loading this brass?

Are your loads within the normal range in loading manuals?

When I was flying the bush in Alaska back in the 1980s, I ran across a guy who could really get the most out of his 44 Magnum Super Blackhawk.

He was loading a 250 Gr. cast SWC on top of 25 gr. of 2400 powder with a magnum primer. He didn't want to hear that I thought that he was shooting +P above Proof loads (70,000 PSI+). Strangely, he was only getting one load per case. (I often wonder if he still has both hands.)

If your loads are less than listed maximum in the manuals, I would:

Mike some of your fired brass to see if the neck has expanded excessivly.

If so, I would consider a chamber cast.

How is your accuracy? Sloppy fit usually equals a sloppy group.

Is this a new gun (to you), or do you have a reasonable history with it?

How about a change of brass? Same problem?

Naturally, I assume that you have miked the bullets.

New expander? What does it measure?

What load history do you have with the dies that you are using? Are they new, or tried and true?

Lots of possibilities here.

I'd start with miking fired brass and maybe a chamber cast, just to be sure.

Please follow up with more info.

Posts: 1 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What dies are you using? I'm shooting a 6BR, with Lapua brass, & some of it has been fired 12 times with no problems.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is not engough neck tension?
How thick are the neck walls of your brass?
What is the diameter of the neck of your resizing die?

Did you forget to resize the brass?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

The problem is not engough neck tension?
How thick are the neck walls of your brass?
What is the diameter of the neck of your resizing die?

Did you forget to resize the brass?

Also, how big is your expander button? It should be smaller than .243" by at least 0.002" or 0.003". If your expander is the correct diameter and you don't feel any drag as it comes back out of the neck as the case is being pulled out of the resizing die, then your die is not reducing the neck diameter enough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto what JCN said.

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
You don`t say what type die you`re useing but if its a Redding collet die did you have the proper button in the die when sizing? Take a second look at the expander button if you are useing a die with one. I kind of doubt the brass is bad, I have a 6.5 Swede with a large chambered neck ( over polished to remove a burr) and the necks crack from firing after 3-4 loads but still hold a bullet tight until then. The reason I keep it is it also shoots .75-1" avg 5rd groups with a few .5" tossed in for good measure. I can`t complain for a hunting rifle.
The note as to a bad batch of bullets is a good possibility also. The companies don`t screw-up often but it does happen.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heres what I come up with. A neck sized and expanded case measures outside the neck at .269". When I neck size only (take the expander out of the die) I get a case neck of .262". The expander measures .242". So, a loaded bullet after only neck sizing and no expander produces a neck size of .268". The dies Ive been using are Redding 6mmbr Rem Series B #80317. Below is a picture of a case that is only neck sized and then had a bullet seated. You can see how much smaller the neck is under the place where the bullet stops in the neck. What I ended up doing it screwing the expander all the way to the top of the die, the expander is set even with the place where the die neck sizes and this ended up working. It was when the expander was screwed all the way down to decap that when the brass came back over it, it opened up to much. I think I pretty well explained what happened. And I still shouldnt have to have the expander all the way to the top, but thats what works so Ill stick with it.

You can see a pic of the neck with the bulge at this link:

http://outcast.homeunix.org/uploads/case%20neck.jpg

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anneal them and retry with usual set up. I bet they will be good as new. You got good advise, but things just do not go tits up with out a reason. Mostly it is a very minor thing. Check with the easiest cheapest stuff 1st. If you were working a new gun, dies or chamber cast if it floats your boat. Then yes check all demensions and even make a chamber cast. Come on the set up has worked 4 other times with no problems. Anneal 10 cases, go back to your old adjustments and try them. If you got a few pieces of new brass laying around try it if you do not want to anneal. 2 best ways to get long life out of brass is do not hot rod and anneal every 4-6 loadings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first thing I do with a new set of dies is to take
the decapping pin out and put it in the tool box.
I do my decapping in a decapping die in a separate
press. then when I run a case into the size die,
while the press is at the top of the stroke I back the
expander up til it touches the inside of the neck then
down abour half to full turnand lock it.
This starts the expander in the neck while
it is still in the die, this helps on concentricity, also
pulls the case over the ball at a point of more press
leverage. Takes less effort.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott, I had a similar problem loading 6mm PPC. I used the wrong size bushing in a Redding Bushing die and sized the necks down too small. When I seated bullets the would just about fall out the cases. I guess the bullet was pushing too much brass out of the way or something when they were seated. Yours may or may not be doing the same thing but I solved my problem by turning the necks and sizing the necks less. It seems a bit counter-intuitive but it did solve my problem, please let me know if it helps solve yours......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote