THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .300 WSM reloading tips, brass, etc? - RWS, Winchester, or...?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 WSM reloading tips, brass, etc? - RWS, Winchester, or...?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am building a .300 WSM for a guy and the rifle will need to be very accurate. It has a Borden action, 23" long 12" twist #5 barrel, HS stock, and Schmidt & bender scope. So the reloading is going to be approached more carefully than just his typical deer rifle. I have never made a .300 WSM and have only shot a buddy's on a hunt when i had rifle issues. Oh yeah, he wants to use ~165gr bullets for whitetail hunting

So what is your favorite brand of brass? I liked RWS when I could get it and think i can find soem for the .300WSM. Martini has almost no RWS ammo and told me to call Huntington. Winchesrter has always been my second favorite brand of brass. hat have you found to be consistent and high quality brass? BTW-i have used Norma in the past and don't like it because it was incredibly soft.

Any favorite bullets for shooting whitetails out to 600 yards? I was going to start with 165gr Accubond and 165 gr Game King. Was thinking of trying the Berger 168 hunting bullet, but I here they usually do not exit. My buddy and I both like exit woounds. Where we hunt it is brutally thick and you need a good blood trail.

Any favorite powders for 165 gr bullets?

Any favorite primers? I always used WLR and WLRM primers for my reloading. Used Federals when there was a primer shortage and I could not get Winchester. Right now i have a very good stock of Winchester and will start with them. Would you reccomend regular or magnum primers?

Any other tips would be appreciated

Thanks!

Skunk out

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The two loads that have worked for me,both of them running a little over 3000fps with 165gr bullets and 1.5-2.0grs under max in my rifle are 69.0grs of Reloader-22 and 65.0grs of IMR-4350.I use Win. brass,Win. Large Rifle Magnum primers,bullets I like are Hornady Interbond-COL-2.860,Hornady SST-COL 2.860 and Hornady SP-COL-2.815.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend trying RL17 for any of the short mags. I settled on 65gr of RL17 with 180gr Sierras at 3080fps in my 300WSM. I had good velocity with RL22 and picked up over 100fps with the RL17. I use Winchester brass and 215M primers. If you are just setting up the loads, I would certainly try the Barnes TSX bullets for exit wounds.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
Winchesrter has always been my second favorite brand of brass. hat have you found to be consistent and high quality brass? BTW-i have used Norma in the past and don't like it because it was incredibly soft.

Any favorite bullets for shooting whitetails out to 600 yards? I was going to start with 165gr Accubond and 165 gr Game King.

I think you'll have to sort your brass to ensure consistency and "high quality". I have found that to be true both with "mass produced" brass such as Winchester as well as "premium" brass such as RWS or Lapua. Not wanting to turn necks, I sort for case neck wall consistency. Whether that will work for you, only experience will tell. Look out for inconsistency in force needed when you seat bullets. Sometimes, this goes away when brass is reloaded, sometimes brass consistently producing flyers has to be discarded.

With the Winchester brass, deburring the flash hole might be more important than with brass sporting drilled flash holes - e.g Lapua. But I always deburr, you only need to do it once anyway...

As far as accuracy is concerned I have had good luck with Barnes 168 grs TSX as well as Nosler AccuBonds.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
I am building a .300 WSM for a guy and the rifle will need to be very accurate. It has a Borden action, 23" long 12" twist #5 barrel, HS stock, and Schmidt & bender scope. So the reloading is going to be approached more carefully than just his typical deer rifle. I have never made a .300 WSM and have only shot a buddy's on a hunt when i had rifle issues. Oh yeah, he wants to use ~165gr bullets for whitetail hunting

So what is your favorite brand of brass? I liked RWS when I could get it and think i can find soem for the .300WSM. Martini has almost no RWS ammo and told me to call Huntington. Winchesrter has always been my second favorite brand of brass. hat have you found to be consistent and high quality brass? BTW-i have used Norma in the past and don't like it because it was incredibly soft.

Any favorite bullets for shooting whitetails out to 600 yards? I was going to start with 165gr Accubond and 165 gr Game King. Was thinking of trying the Berger 168 hunting bullet, but I here they usually do not exit. My buddy and I both like exit woounds. Where we hunt it is brutally thick and you need a good blood trail.

Any favorite powders for 165 gr bullets?

Any favorite primers? I always used WLR and WLRM primers for my reloading. Used Federals when there was a primer shortage and I could not get Winchester. Right now i have a very good stock of Winchester and will start with them. Would you reccomend regular or magnum primers?

Any other tips would be appreciated

Thanks!

Skunk out

I had my first 300WSM build just after they came out used a Broughton 5c barrel @24" with 1/12 twist. Win action,Mcmillian stock build it to shoot the 165gr bullets only brass out back then was Win. Shot all the powder finally settled on H-4350 with a 165gr TSX WLRM primer. It shot just about all the 165/168gr bullet pretty nice

My next one got last year everything the same as the first except used a Kreiger 5r with 1/11.25 twist @ 26". they have a max load of 68gr/R-17 with 165gr bullets @3217fps on Alliant site in my rifle 66gr with 165 gr Accubond is in the 3200fps range using WLRM primer. I did add one bullet on testing was the 168gr E-Tip. One bullet that has shot good in both rifles is the Speer 165gr BTSP

All my rifles are build to use here in Co for deer/elk. I've gotten some pretty good groups using Win brass so I just stick with it and I had mine throated alittle longer so OAL is 2.930".

I haven't shoot any of the Bergers in the 300WSM. Well good luck

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own two rifles chambered for the 300 WSM and shoot the same load in both:

Winchester cases
Fed 215M primer
max load H 4350 powder
168 grain TSX bullet
seated to fit the magazine

Be sure to allow the Barnes bullets plenty of jump to the lands. They perform best when seated way off the lands.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote