New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 & 140gr E-tip?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a bunch of 140grain E-tip seconds a few months back with expectations of shooting them in my new 7mm-08. I plan on using H4350. I have a feeling that I won't be getting much beyond the starting load since they are such long bullets and Nosler recommends seating .050-.090 off the lands.

What kind of velocity would I reasonably expect with the 7mm-08 and 140gr E-tips?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Hodgdon 26-2800 fps.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some up and made it all the way to listed max (48gr) which I didn't expect but 47.1 grains yielded the best group right at 1". I got better groups with Federal Blue Box ammo.

I was really concerned that I would get 1/2 a grain and max out. I never got a sticky bolt or extractor marks so I'm a little confused about that.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
I loaded some up and made it all the way to listed max (48gr) which I didn't expect but 47.1 grains yielded the best group right at 1". I got better groups with Federal Blue Box ammo.

I have had 3 Win M70's in 7mm-08 and all of them shot the tighest groups with the Federal Blue Box Ammo. 150 gr. Hot Core bullets.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote